Sweet potato or sweet potato is an ancient vegetable culture that has nothing to do with the potatoes we are used to. This Convolvulus vegetable has been used for about 10,000 years. Batat gave the world America, in those parts he enjoys special popularity. Today, sweet potatoes are grown in both tropical and subtropical countries. The leading positions in the production of yams are occupied by Indonesia, India and China. In these countries, the vegetable is called "the fruit of longevity." The beneficial properties of the sweet potato (or "potato") make it possible in a natural way to compensate for the deficiency of minerals and trace elements.
What is a yam
Sweet taste and pleasant aroma win the hearts of many people, and the use of the product deserves respect. Different types of sweet potatoes differ in appearance and taste. The most popular variety is the bright orange tubers. To taste, the vegetable resembles a very sweet pumpkin, and it only associates with the appearance of potatoes.
A sweet potato is a climbing plant with stems that can be up to three meters long. The vegetable itself is formed as a result of thickening of the lateral roots, and the flesh of the fruit can be of various colors: from white and yellow to purple and red. And about the beneficial properties of sweet potato or sweet potato, legends began to circulate ten thousand years ago.
Composition and nutritional value
Sweet potatoes - a storehouse of calcium, potassium, phosphorus, starch, beta-carotene, folic acid. Useful product for losing weight, as it has a low calorie content and a high content of ascorbic acid. One portion of the vegetable accounts for slightly more than half of the daily intake of vitamin C. Beta-carotene in the body transforms into vitamin A, and this element, along with vitamin C, is a powerful antioxidant that prevents cell damage and is a good prevention of many dangerous diseases.
In addition, in the sweet potato there are such vitamins as PP, B1, B2, B6, choline, pyridoxine. One hundred grams of vegetable accounts for only 61 calories, 2 grams of protein, the complete absence of fat and 14 grams of carbohydrates. Useful properties of sweet potatoes and potatoes are quite different, with a clear advantage for the first.
Types of sweet potatoes
Today, China alone grows about a hundred varieties of sweet potatoes. It is not possible to paint the classification, because the officially recognized varietal typology simply does not exist. There are only general categories: vegetable varieties, fodder varieties and dessert varieties. They differ between the color of the skin, the color of the inner pulp and form. Each of the varieties is different from the others in terms of yield, scale of growth, and flowering period. The following varieties of sweet potatoes are the most popular and widely eaten:
- Nancy Hall or pumpkin sweet potatoes,
- Hae-Dun or chestnut.
Despite the fact that the sweet potato is called sweet potato, it is cooked faster than the usual root vegetable. It can be eaten absolutely in any form, raw, boiled, fried, baked. On the basis of the vegetable make cereals, soups, salads, cocktails. Especially love for dishes from sweet potatoes nourish losing weight, because the vegetable contains a minimum of calories.
How to eat sweet potatoes and what?
In fact, sweet potato is a fairly simple vegetable to prepare, which does not require special skills in cooking. If there is no time, but you really want to eat, you can just clean it, wash it and everything - you can safely eat. And if there is an extra 20 minutes, you can make a delicious mashed potatoes. The recipe of cooking is also extremely simple: clean the yam, cut into cubes, add water and cook like regular potatoes for 25 minutes. Drain the water and whisk with a blender to a puree state, you can make it a fork, because the vegetable will be very soft. Neither salt nor sugar is added to such a dish. And even little kids eat it for both cheeks, because the dish is very sweet and without adding anything.
Another delicious way to cook sweet potatoes is to fry a vegetable. This method does not appeal to losing weight, but fried yam is very tasty. Cut the vegetable into cubes and fry over medium heat until fully cooked, while constantly stirring. The undoubted advantage of the sweet potato is that it is cooked much faster than potatoes. Vegetable goes well with orange zest, lemon juice, curry and pepper.
Batat in uniform
And there is also a dish, the preparation of which will take only 8 minutes, and will be a real salvation when you need to eat quickly and help and feed your loved ones. Such a rich beta-carotene garnish will only have a beneficial effect on the body of both children and adults. The method of preparation is as follows: wrap unpeeled root vegetables in foil, put on a baking sheet and send to the oven at a temperature of 250 degrees, until completely softened, usually this process takes 15-17 minutes.
Useful properties of sweet potatoes
Cooking sweet potatoes is a real pleasure, but it is not the only plus of the product. About the beneficial properties of the sweet potato for health are the most true legends, and scientists were able to find out the following:
- Strengthens the walls of blood vessels, a positive effect on the work of the cardiovascular system. Doctors recommend adding to the ration of yam dishes to those who have problems with pressure,
- Due to the high content of antioxidants, the beneficial and healing properties of the sweet potato have no boundaries. Sweet potatoes can even prevent the formation of cancer cells in the mouth, esophagus, intestines and lungs,
- Losing weight without sweet potatoes can not do! Vegetable is rich in fiber, so quickly saturates the body without harm to the figure. Complex carbohydrates, are destroyed to sugars and are absorbed into the blood, so that a person feels satiety for a long time. A low calorie vegetable allows those who wish to lose those extra pounds to maximize the sweet potato in their diet,
- Potassium, which is rich in the product, favorably affects the work of the brain and nervous system. Doctors recommend adding a vegetable to the diet to those who suffer stress, suffer from chronic fatigue, insomnia, neurosis,
- The beneficial effect on the stomach. The beneficial properties of yams do not bypass the stomach, as they are an excellent prevention of ulcers, gastritis and other diseases,
- Irreplaceable sweet potato for young, radiant skin. Included in the beta-carotene has anti-aging properties and fights the first signs of aging,
- It is recommended to add sweet potatoes to diabetics. Batat is a low glycemic index product, it does not cause a sharp jump in blood sugar,
- It has a beneficial effect on blood clotting. This property of the vegetable is vital, the sweet potato helps to speed the healing of wounds and prevents excessive blood loss in the event of injury.
- Very helpful in preventing arthritis,
- It does not hurt to use yams and smokers in your diet. The smoke of cigarettes provokes a loss of vitamin A in the body, which is the main cause of emphysema. Just eating this vegetable for food can protect not only the smoker, but also the people living with him from this dangerous disease,
- For athletes and bodybuilders, sweet potatoes are also an indispensable product. People who are serious about building muscle include this vegetable in their menu just because it consists of complex carbohydrates that are responsible for nourishing the muscles. Coaches recommend eating batat 90 minutes before a workout. Vegetable properties are able to relieve pain and muscle cramps after heavy exercise.
Doctors also recommend adding sweet potatoes to the diet for women who go through menopause, as well as for those who have eye problems, as well as for frequent colds and reduced immunity. There is a whole gulf between the beneficial and harmful properties of the yam, since there are very few contraindications for a vegetable.
Harm and contraindications of "sweet potato"
The sweet potato is not only eaten, but preparations are also made from it. For example, fresh root powder or medicinal tinctures. And those and others are strictly contraindicated in the following cases:
- In the presence of duodenal ulcers,
- Diverticulosis and diverticulitis,
- Ulcerative colitis
- Pregnant women should also be careful to eat yam, so as not to harm the body,
- Excessive consumption of sweet potatoes in food can provoke crystallization of a stone in the kidneys and gall bladder due to oxalates contained in the product,
In other cases, the sweet potato will only benefit the body and have a positive effect on health. The beneficial properties and contraindications of yam are to some extent related to each other.
This popular worldwide vegetable, in addition to its extremely usefulness, has specific features inherent only to him,
- In 1595, Thomas Maffet conducted research and expressed their results in the work "On Improving Health", where he clearly described the ability of the sweet potato to increase libido. This is explained by the fact that the composition of the vegetable includes natural female hormone. That is why sweet potatoes are recommended to be consumed by women of climacteric age,
- Americans love sweet potato with orange pulp, and Asians prefer purple,
- It is impossible to describe the taste of sweet potatoes, because, depending on the species, it can resemble, for example, a banana with a nut, a pumpkin, a zucchini and even a chestnut,
- Sweet potato is a multifunctional vegetable, it can be not only eaten, but processed into sugar, flour, molasses and even alcohol. People gather not only the tubers, but the stems and young leaves. They are boiled, soaked, and then added to salads, and the seeds are even used as a coffee substitute!
The versatility of the sweet potato knows no boundaries, you can use a vegetable almost everywhere, and in cooking it is an indispensable ingredient.
What is this plant?
This is a climbing plant (a grassy perennial vine), the stems of which are lined on the ground at a distance of 5 m and rooted at the site of the nodes. The height of the yam bush is from 15 cm. The leaves are small, more often heart-shaped, on rather long petioles.
Most sweet potato varieties bloom. Inflorescences are “funnel-shaped” large, located in the axils of the leaves, often pink, white or slightly lilac.
Pollination cross, carried by insects, often bees. After flowering, the fruit is formed - the seed box, where there are black, small size (from 3 to 5 mm), seeds in the amount of 4 pieces.
Sweet potato pulp is also pink, white or even violet depending on the variety. Tubers have an elongated, round (less often) or ribbed shape, and the skin can be of different colors, smooth.
What sweet potato taste?
The taste of sweet potatoes depends on the variety, the place where it was grown, and the conditions. So, according to taste characteristics it is divided into dessert (very sweet and tasty), unsweetened (fodder) and vegetable (sweet or sweetish) varieties.
Sweet potato pulp is soft and juicy; fodder pulp can be more dry and tough.
Its taste is very reminiscent of frozen boiled or fried potatoes. But there are varieties that are very similar to fruit, more precisely - melon, banana, some pumpkin or even chestnut. Probably because many love him so much.
There are a lot of sweet potato varieties, so China is engaged in the cultivation of more than one hundred varieties. But since their official classification is not, then the names are unknown.
They are divided into three main types (vegetable, dessert, fodder). In Japan, there is yam, which does not form tubers, but an above-ground stalk with leaves and flowers is growing.
All varieties of sweet potatoes differ from each other in taste, the color of the pulp and rind, the shape of the tubers, the yield or the shape of the leaves and flowers. Here are some of the most famous: Salmon, Caramel, Pumpkin, Chestnut (Hedong), Hua-bei.
Who will be useful and what?
The benefits of sweet potatoes for the figure.
- Batata, as a food product, is very useful for people with diseases of the heart and vascular system. Vitamin B6, which is in large quantities in the vegetable, improves the elasticity of the vessel walls. A large amount of another, equally important vitamin C helps the body stay young longer and stimulates the immune system,
- Anyone who wants to lose weight, you can safely use the yam, it is rich in fiber, which helps clean the intestinal walls and thereby helps to speed up the metabolism and regulation of metabolic processes. It also well saturates the body for a long time, as it contains complex (very necessary and useful) carbohydrates. Batat is useful for people who want to improve the gastrointestinal tract, but if only it is not contraindicated in a particular case (contraindications see below)
- Potassium, which is in the composition of the fetus, has a good effect on the entire nervous system of a person. Therefore, all those who suffer from insomnia, neurosis, and chronic fatigue can take a closer look at this wonderful vegetable. And it contributes to the relaxation of the muscular system and its recovery,
- The plant contains a large amount of vitamin A, it is a godsend for anyone who cares about age-related changes in vision. They are rich in varieties with the flesh of bright yellow and orange.
For more information about the properties of yam can be found in the video:
Though sweet potato is very useful, it can be contraindicated for people:
- With ulcerative colitis,
- With different types of stomach ulcers or other parts of the digestive system,
- With individual intolerance to some components (starch, glucose),
- With diseases of the digestive tract,
- During pregnancy and lactation.
Growing Unusual Potatoes
Under natural conditions, the plant grows in tropical and subtropical climates, at least - in temperate. Homeland yam is considered to be Colombia and Peru. In Eurasia, was brought by Spanish navigators.
Today it is grown only as a cultivated plant in the Mediterranean and Eastern countries. It is possible to grow it in our latitudes, although the yield will be much lower.
But countries such as India, China and Indonesia are considered leaders in the cultivation, consumption and export of sweet potatoes. In New Guinea, Uganda, Rwanda, it is considered one of the most important foods.
Sweet potatoes are also common in many states of North America. There in local stores you can see yam called "yams" (tubers of plants of the genus Dioscorea). Although in reality it is not him.
We have sweet potatoes - a rare product. Although here it can also be grown in more southerly areas in open ground. It is possible that over time, the amount of its cultivation in these areas will increase significantly.
Tips for growing in our latitudes
In order to grow yams in our latitudes, you need to take 1 or 2 tubers (buy at the supermarket) and plant in January in a box for seedlings. To do this, take and mix in equal proportions of soil, sand and humus.
After planting, the tubers need regular watering. Later, as the sprouts appear (after 3 weeks), you need to wait until about 5 internodes are formed on them, then they should be cut and planted in a growing pot. With one tuber can grow up to 7 shoots.
Subsequent care is a moderate watering of the soil. If the temperature is low and there is not enough watering, then the size of the tubers will be small. And vice versa.
In the autumn, two weeks before harvesting, it is desirable to stop watering so that the yam is dry and can be stored for a long time. It is dug out of the ground when the stems and leaves dry.
We offer to watch a video clip, which tells about the cultivation of sweet potato seedlings:
Drinking sweet potato
Potatoes, unlike real potatoes, cook much faster. Often it is even eaten raw, just like that or as an ingredient in a salad. It is even considered a dietary product, because its popularity is only increasing.
It can be boiled, dried, fried, added to different dishes (soup, porridge, desserts, casseroles, mashed potatoes). Often, citrus fruits, pepper and curry are used as seasoning.
Such chips are much more useful than purchased ones, and they are in no way inferior in taste. For those who want to pamper their relatives and themselves, of course, you should definitely try to cook them.
- Batata - 3-4 pieces,
- Vegetable oil,
- Dried greens
- Pepper red and black,
- Sour cream.
- First you need to wash and clean the tubers,
- Dry them with a paper towel
- Cut into fairly thin round pieces (slices),
- Mix together with salt, pepper and curry. Make sure that the amount of spices does not spoil the whole taste,
- In a preheated to 230 ° oven, place the deco with the slices laid out. Do not forget to lubricate the deco with this oil,
- Sprinkle with butter slices on top,
- Bake to crust on both sides (about 20-25min),
- Выложите готовые чипсы на тарелку и посыпьте сушеной зеленью,
- Подавать можно со сметаной или любым вкусным для вас соусом.
Вкусные рецепты тушеной курицы с картошкой находятся тут. Накормите всю семью вкусным обедом!
А что можно готовить из филе индейки? Здесь вы найдете интересные рецепты и много советов.
This is a very useful and beautiful dish, kids love to eat it.
Therefore, to feed them healthy and tasty food will now be easier.
- Batata - 1 kg,
- Butter - about 50 g,
- Milk - 0.5 L,
- Dried greens
- Peel the tubers,
- Rinse well and cut into pieces,
- Boil in water (can be salted) for about 15-20 minutes until cooked,
- Drain and knead thoroughly (blender, meat grinder, pusher),
- The resulting pureed mass is filled with oil and heated milk,
- Add a little curry or other spices to your taste,
- Serve in a plate, sprinkle with greens on top and pour with melted butter.
The video recipe for this puree below:
Bright soup puree
Just like other dishes from this vegetable, the soup is extremely useful.
In addition, it has a very beautiful rich color and a mild pleasant taste.
- Batata - 5 pcs. (small size)
- Meat broth - about 1-1.5 cups,
- Milk - 1 cup,
- Butter - 1 tbsp. l.,
- Pour the sweet potato with water (cold) and put on fire to boil,
- Bring to a boil, drain the water,
- Pour warm meat (pre-cooked) broth,
- Boil and add all ingredients except milk,
- Bring to readiness and whip everything with a blender,
- To dissolve the pureed mass with milk and bring to the boil,
- Boil another 10 minutes,
- Serve hot.
Any familiar salad with boiled potatoes can be "updated". To do this, it is enough to replace ordinary potatoes with a sweet one and you’ll get an old-new salad that everyone will love.
- Batata - 4 pcs. medium size
- Green onions (stalks) - 1 bunch,
- Lemon juice - 2 tbsp. l.,
- Oil (olive, but can be replaced) - 2 tbsp. l.,
- Lemon peel,
- Boil yam (do not cut) in salted water until cooked,
- Cool and peel,
- Cut into sticks (straws),
- Chop the onion stalks,
- Mix lemon juice, butter, zest, salt and pepper,
- The resulting dressing lubricate yam and onions, mix everything well,
- Serve cold as a snack.
Many more delicious dishes can be made from sweet potatoes. We offer you in the video one more of them - pancakes:
What is this vegetable?
Sweet potatoes are sweet potatoes. Such a plant belongs to the root crops of the Ipomoea species and the Vynukov family. In general, it is a grassy rather long vine that has rooting in the nodes. The roots of yam in some places greatly thickened and form tubers, which are eaten. The flesh of these tubers can be orange, yellow, white, cream and even pink, red and purple. The weight of one tuber can vary from 200-300 grams to 2-3 kilograms.
Homeland plants are considered Colombia and Peru. From there, it gradually spread to Polynesia, Spain, New Zealand, the Philippines and other countries. Today, sweet potato is found only in a cultivated form and is grown in subtropical and tropical latitudes, as it loves heat. In regions with a temperate climate, the plant is also grown, but in its annual form. In addition, yields are not too large.
There are different varieties of sweet potatoes, there are about 100 of them, although they have no names, because there is no official classification. But all the varieties are conditionally divided into vegetables, fodder and dessert, depending on taste and degree of sweetness. Also, different varieties differ in shape and color of the pulp and rind. The sweet potato can be round, long, oval. Skin color varies from white to yellow and even orange.
The taste of such a vegetable is similar to the taste of ordinary potatoes, but it is sweeter and may taste like banana, chestnut, nuts, melons, zucchini or pumpkins.
The composition of the sweet potato contains carbohydrates (there are much more of them than in ordinary potatoes), proteins, starch, ash, water, carotene, various organic acids, potassium, iron, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, pyridoxine, folic acid, choline, vitamins PP, C, A, B6, B2, B1 and many other useful substances. And the calorie content of the sweet potato is only 60-65 calories per 100 grams, so this vegetable can be called dietary.
Is sweet potato useful?
Useful properties of sweet potatoes:
- Due to the high content of vitamin C, sweet potato can be called an excellent means of preventing atherosclerosis (this vitamin strengthens the walls of blood vessels). In addition, this vegetable helps to strengthen the immune system and increase the body's resistance to infections.
- The substances that are part of the body protect the body tissues from the destructive and extremely dangerous effects of free radicals, which triggers cell aging processes and can also provoke the development of cancer.
- The use of this vegetable for the digestive tract is invaluable. The cellulose normalizes the digestive process, and also removes toxins and toxins from the intestines.
- Magnesium is necessary for the normal functioning of the nervous system, so that regular consumption of yams will prevent the negative effects of stress.
- The vegetable contains potassium, which strengthens the heart muscle and normalizes the cardiovascular system.
- Batat improves appetite and favorably affects the mucous membranes of the gastrointestinal tract.
- The composition of the sweet potato includes substances similar to female hormones, so this vegetable is recommended for women during menopause, as well as for hormonal disorders.
- Vegetable contains calcium, which is necessary for strengthening bones, teeth, nails and hair.
How to grow?
As was already written above, the cultivation of yams can be carried out in temperate latitudes, but only in the form of an annual plant. In addition, you should not expect greater yields. Tubers, as in the cultivation of ordinary potatoes, are not used, they almost do not give viable shoots.
The cutting method is used. To prepare the cuttings, either germinated shoots of tubers or parts of the stems of adult plants are used. The optimum temperature for growing is 18-27 degrees. Lower temperatures are destructive. Requires regular watering (it is especially important during the rooting of cuttings), as well as cutting shoots. The period from planting to harvest may vary between 90-150 days and will depend on the growing conditions.
Salad with sweet potatoes and green beans
To prepare you will need:
- 2-3 sweet potatoes,
- 200 grams of green beans,
- 1 red onion,
- 2-3 sprigs of parsley,
- ½ tsp sweet mustard,
- 2-3 teaspoons of lemon juice,
- olive oil,
- salt to taste
- Batat well wash and boil without cleaning. You can also steam it.
- String beans should also boil, and it is better to cook for a couple.
- Red onion peel and cut into half rings. Finely chop the parsley with a knife.
- Cut the yam into strips. Mix it with onions, parsley and beans.
- Prepare refueling. To do this, mix lemon juice, mustard and olive oil.
- Season the salad, salt and mix it well.
Baked Potatoes with Cheese
- 2-3 sweet potatoes,
- 200 grams of hard cheese
- olive oil.
- Clean, wash and slice the yam.
- Cover the bottom of the baking mold with parchment, pre-soaking it with olive oil.
- Put in the shape of a sweet potato wedge.
- Grate cheese and sprinkle with yams.
- Send the form to an oven heated to 180 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
Apple Potato Casserole
- 500 grams of sweet potatoes,
- 3 apples
- 100 grams of sour cream,
- 3 eggs,
- 150 ml of cream
- Peel the yam and cut into thin slices. Do the same with apples.
- Raise the raisins for half an hour with hot water to soften it.
- Prepare the sauce: mix the sour cream, cream and eggs, whisk everything well.
- Lubricate the bottom of the baking dish with oil and spread layers of yam and apples, alternating them. Add raisins.
- Pour all the sauce.
- Send the form to an oven preheated to 170-180 degrees for about 40 minutes.
Prepare original and delicious sweet potatoes using different recipes!
1. Simple roasting
It takes very little time to bake sweet potatoes in the oven. There are a couple of varieties of this process. Both require heating the oven to 230 ° C and 30-45 minutes time, depending on the number and size of tubers. The easiest way: slightly scrape the tubers with a knife and put them in the oven on medium heat. Outside, they will be covered with a delicious crisp. To make it even tastier, before you put the tubers in the oven, put a piece of butter on them, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Wrap the tubers in foil. This is necessary in order to distinguish the juices to make the tubers even softer and more tender. After cooking, remove the tubers from the oven, cut and sprinkle with your favorite spices.
2. Sweet Potato Gratin
The sweet potatoes are usually mixed with bread crumbs and baked under cheese. Sometimes they add milk or fatty cream to them, but you can do without them, by serving them then to the table. In this case, the sweet potato is not necessary to clean before cooking. Its skin is quite edible, it is thin, and it has many useful nutrients. In addition, it looks interesting on a plate. Just a little time in the oven, and a sweet potato dish can be pulled out and tasted. It is usually eaten with a spoon.
3. Deep fried sweet potatoes
There are 2 ways to prepare such a dish of sweet potatoes. If you want the sweet potato to be not very crispy, it should be cut into strips, put on a baking sheet covered with baking paper and sprinkled with olive oil. You can salt, pepper and sprinkle sweet potatoes with any favorite seasonings. Bakat should be baked in the oven at 120 ° C for 25 minutes, turning the pieces from time to time. To check whether the dish is ready, you can pierce the slices with a fork.
If you are not afraid to gain a little extra calories and want to get a beautiful and crisp product, the second method is more suitable for you. Also cut yams into strips and for 15 minutes. immerse completely in ice water - this is necessary in order to remove excess starch, without it the yam will be more crisp. Pour 2.5 cm tall peanut butter into the pan. Dry the yam slices with a paper towel and slowly immerse them one by one in the pan with the butter. Fry the yam at 180 ° C for 5 minutes or until it has acquired a golden brown color. Now sprinkle it with your favorite salty or sweet spices.
4. Sweet Potato Pancakes
For breakfast, good to eat potato pancakes. Why not try replacing ordinary potatoes with yams? These pancakes are well suited to egg dishes, besides sweet potatoes will give your dishes a color. To make fritters, grate the tubers or chop finely in a blender and fry with onions in a few tablespoons of vegetable oil until they are brown and crispy. Now it is possible to sprinkle a dish of sweet potatoes with herbs and spices that you like best.
This method is a bit like baking. The only difference is that on the grill the sweet potato will acquire a unique smoky flavor. So, cut the tubers into round slices and brush them with olive oil. Now put them on the hot grill grate. Fry the slices for 5 minutes. from each side. The thinner the slices, the faster they will cook. To make the sweet potato more fragrant, add apple wood chips to the coal. If you want the sweet potato to be more tender and soft, put it on a piece of foil, add butter there, wrap and place on the grill for 20 minutes.
If you want your children to consume more healthy foods, mash the sweet potatoes. Indeed, in the peel of this vegetable 3 times more antioxidants than in all other vegetables. If you like mashed unpeeled sweet potatoes, you will bring many benefits for yourself and your children. If you prefer mashed tubers without skin, that's okay. At least, various vitamins, minerals and antioxidants will get into your body anyway.
Take three large tubers, cut into pieces (the smaller the pieces, the faster they get ready). Boil water and put chopped yams in it. Boil until the pieces are completely soft. For this you need 15-20 minutes. Now drain the water from the pan, add milk, butter and a pinch of salt and pepper to give the puree the desired flavor.
Sweet homemade sweet potato chips will be a much healthier alternative to purchased potato chips, which are deep-fried with more salt, calories and fats. By making your own chips, you yourself can adjust the amount of salt and oil. Cut the yam into very thin round slices and heat the oven to 230 ° C. Sprinkle yam slices with vegetable oil and sprinkle with spices. Spread them on a baking sheet and bake them until they are crispy. This will take about 25 minutes. During this time, the chips must be turned once so that they turn brown on both sides. While the slices are still in the oven, they can be sprinkled with parmesan.
8. Roasting on a baking sheet
Lightly roasted vegetables are rich in vitamins and minerals and are well suited to chicken, beef and pork. They can always eat vegetarians. Roasted sweet potatoes combine well with pumpkin, onions, parsnips, carrots and beets. Preheat oven to 220 ° C. Baking pan baking paper. If you have a lot of vegetables, then paper should take 2 sheets. Cut vegetables into slices, put in a bowl and mix with salt, pepper and herbs such as rosemary and thyme. You can add garlic, because it gives the sweet potato dish a very rich taste and aroma. After the oven warms up, place the vegetables on a hot baking tray. Roast them for 30-45 minutes, or until they are soft. However, they should not be too soft. Make sure that they do not overcook and stick to the baking sheet.
9. Soup puree
Soups are easy to cook. In addition, they can be frozen in order to use later. Sweet potato is ideal for soup, because it is very rich and harmonizes well with other ingredients. To make the soup have a more interesting taste, you can add curry powder and a pinch of ground red pepper. Experiment with different spices and flavors until you find one that is more like you and your family.
This simple sweet potato dish is made using a blender. There are 2 recipes for making a sweet potato soufflé. In both cases, the yam must be boiled and mashed. In the first, whipped egg whites are added to the yam puree, and the whole is whipped together. This recipe takes very little time to prepare. In the second case, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and sherry are added to the puree. Whatever recipe you choose, a sweet potato soufflé will always turn out very tasty.
Sweet potato sweet potato - description
Homeland of this interesting culture is the American continent (the territory of Peru, Colombia), while now the yam is growing only in the form of culture. One of his “relatives” is the flower of the Ipomoea (from the family of convolvulums), which is familiar to many.
Sweet potatoes (although the sweet potato has a little in common with the traditional and familiar potato) is a perennial plant, but in the temperate areas it is cultivated as an annual. His bush is a liana with lashes that can take root. On average, plant height reaches 18-20 cm.
On the elongated petioles are beautiful, heart-shaped leaves. Yam is grown for tubers, which are formed on the lateral roots of plants. The weight, size, shape, and color of the tubers are very diverse and depend on the variety of the crop. Yams differ in the structure of the pulp, for example, in fodder varieties it is very dense, in vegetables and dessert - soft, and in composition.
The shape of sweet potato tubers can be:
Interesting coloring of the pulp and skin: red, white, cream, lilac, orange. Orange fruits contain a very large amount of beta-carotene, in purple and violet tubers there are many anthocyanins.
The taste of the fruit depends on which group (vegetable, fodder or dessert) a particular variety belongs to, as well as the growing and maintenance conditions. Many sweet varieties of sweet potatoes taste much like sweet melons, pumpkins, bananas. Totally savory fodder varieties are also cultivated, as well as palatable sweet potato varieties that are widely used for stews and various side dishes.
Tubers of this plant are recycled, they make molasses, starch, sugar. In the food industry, sweet potatoes, cereals, soufflés, flour, and even chips so much loved by many are made from the sweet potato. The sweet potato is eaten fresh, it is also baked, fried and boiled. The menu of various nations (especially in Asia, Africa) includes a variety of different sweet potato dishes.
Valuable feed for livestock is sweet potato greens, which are not inferior in quality to lucerne and clover.
The tubers of this amazing plant are more caloric than potatoes, and the chemical composition is diverse. They contain carbohydrates, dietary fiber, fats, proteins, while the percentage ratio of various substances depends largely on the sweet potato variety.
As mentioned above, in the tubers of orange color contains the most useful beta-carotene, and some varieties of sweet potatoes are ahead of the number of carrots.
Сиреневые, лиловые, фиолетовые клубни батата обязаны таким цветом содержащимся в них особым органическим соединениям – антоцианам. Эти вещества, кроме того, что являются растительными пигментами, действуют на организм человека как сильнейшие актиоксиданты и флавоноиды. They help to slow down the aging process, improve brain function, reduce the level of “bad” cholesterol, and minimize the risk of cancer. Thanks to anthocyanins, eyesight is improved, immunity is increased, pressure is normalized.
Various vitamins are widely represented in the composition of sweet potatoes: B1, B2, B3, B4, B6, B9, C, E, K.
Of the minerals in it are phosphorus, calcium, sodium, iron, manganese, copper.
Batata - the benefits and harm
"The fruit of longevity" - this is how Chinese call the sweet potato and are absolutely right. Its tubers contribute to the improvement of the work of the heart, liver, and kidneys, useful as a general tonic.
Vegetable is useful to those who have various diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, there is a predisposition to cancer. Potatoes should be eaten by those who do not eat ordinary vegetables (beets, carrots) due to fiber intolerance.
Root is recommended for disorders of the nervous system, stress, insomnia. The composition of the sweet potato has a large amount of potassium, and it is one of the strongest natural antidepressants. The menu of people suffering from diabetes, must be dishes from sweet potatoes.
It is believed that if you regularly eat sweet potato tubers (in any form), you can push back the approach of old age, rejuvenate your body. The yam dishes give a feeling of fullness (with a minimum of carbohydrates and fats), it is not for nothing that this vegetable is advised to include in the menu to those who want to lose weight and "sit" on a diet.
There are no particular data regarding contraindications. It is recommended to be careful with those who suffer from various allergic reactions to root crops, and, of course, in any case, certain norms must be observed.
Under the conditions of a difficult Russian climate, sweet roots are grown in one season, digging out autumn tubers. In this, yam is similar to potatoes, although the methods of growing a culture are different.
And most importantly, the yam is very thermophilic, it requires a stable temperature in the range of + 25ºC ... + 30 ºC, and this is not always possible. It is usually propagated vegetatively, although there are other ways:
The latter option is not suitable, as the tubers die from hypothermia, being in cold soil. Seed method is used mainly by breeders, as it is quite time-consuming. The difficulty is also the fact that not every variety of yams gives seeds, and those who have been sown often have to wait a long time for seedlings.
The most common method is a seedling, as in this case the plant gets a very significant gain in time and you can collect good yields. And let the tubers be not as large as those of overseas specimens, all taste characteristics will remain completely.
Interestingly, seedlings are obtained from root crops that are germinated in water or soil.
The shoots grow on the tubers in waves, with one specimen you can cut several batches of sprouts and put them for rooting into the water. For the cultivation of seedlings prepare containers (you can use pallets, boxes with low walls, containers), soil. Drain holes are made in the boxes to prevent stagnant moisture in the ground.
For seedlings fit any high-quality earthen mixture (you can buy in a specialty store), as long as it is loose and breathable. If desired, you can make the ground yourself, taking the turf ground, humus and sand of a large fraction. Grainy sand can then be lightly dusted and the surface of the soil.
It is recommended to sanitize tubers of yam intended for germination in a pink solution of potassium permanganate or an unsaturated solution of blue vitriol.
The soil is shed with water and the tubers are laid out in boxes. You can grow seedlings in various ways.
In this method, the oblong tubers of the sweet potato are laid on the ground horizontally, on a “flank”, while they are slightly pressed into the ground. It is necessary to leave a distance between them so that the emerging shoots do not interchange the roots with each other, do not shade each other.
What if the yam tubers, which are intended for growing shoots, are too large? You can cut them, then carefully divide the root, give a little dry and put in the ground cut down. To avoid rotting, when disembarking, watered with a solution of potassium permanganate.
The soil around the nodules is watered regularly, so that it does not dry out. Air temperature should be + 20ºC… + 23 ºC. Boxes can be put on the windowsill, while controlling the temperature of the soil. We can not allow the cool air to penetrate from the bottom of the tank, the sweet potato should be warm on all sides. Under such conditions, after about 7-9 days, the first shoots appear.
When sprouts appear, the tubers fall asleep with completely granular sand mixed with the ground. This will allow to get shoots with roots, otherwise those sprouts that will not be in the ground will not have roots.
With this method of growing seedlings everything is done in the same way as with horizontal cultivation. The difference is that the yam tubers are not located on the “flank” (horizontal), but on the “butt,” that is, vertically. That is how sweet potato tubers grow in nature.
Growing in water
Another way to get high-quality and strong seedlings of sweet potatoes is to grow it in water. To do this, you need to prepare containers, tubers, separated water. Suitable jars, plastic cups (0.5 liters), where water is poured.
A tuber should pass into the hole of the jar or cup (if the yam is large, it is cut), and for fixation, you can use wooden toothpicks. The sweet potato is dipped halfway into the water, fixed on the sides of the container with toothpicks, so that the upper part of the nodule is in the air. The jar is exposed to the light, provides heat, and awaits the appearance of sprouts. On average, shoots on yams appear in 15-20 days.
What to do with the shoots next? As soon as the cuttings of the sweet potato have reached a length of 13-15 cm, they are gently broken out, and under the condition of warm weather they are planted on prepared beds. If the site is far from home, then it is recommended to put the shoots in bottles, cans with water before planting so that they will not wilt.
If you want to get more shoots from one tuber of sweet potato, they do not break out, but are cut.
The cut is made so that a stump with 2 internodes remains on the tuber. From it will begin to grow a new shoot, which is cut off already in the next wave. It should not seek to get a lot of shoots from one root, as the next will be much weaker than the first. Still, the tuber will give nutrients, and the first shoots will be in more favorable conditions.
Since the overseas root crop requires heat, landing in the ground is possible only at stable air temperatures and without the threat of a return of cold weather. The soil should be heated to + 15ºC, the air temperature - not lower than + 20 ... + 22ºC.
In most regions of Russia, such conditions are possible only at the end of May (on the condition of a warm spring), or even in the first decade of June. In the Urals, the Northwest will have to plant yams no earlier than June 5-10.
The site should be well lit by the sun, on the south side. It is good if from the north the ridge will be covered with a fence or some small buildings. In this case, the plants will be provided with a good warm-up.
The bat does not tolerate even a small shadow, and this must also be taken into account. The best soil for culture is loose, breathable. Root crops grow well on sandy and sandy soils, a small loam.
A good harvest can be obtained only on well-fertilized nutrient grounds. It is advisable to make fertilizer in the fall:
- compost (4-5 kg),
- rotted manure (up to 3 kg)
- superphosphate (20 grams),
- potassium sulfate (12-15 grams).
All doses are per square meter bed.
It is necessary that nearby did not pass ground water, and if the soil is too acidic, then they make dolomite flour or lime fluff. Already in spring, when preparing the site, the bed for sweet potatoes is once again dug up and the wells are prepared.
Above has been said about the methods of reproduction of sweet potatoes. Due to the special difficulties of the seed method is used only in breeding stations, when conducting research on obtaining new varieties.
You can propagate sweet potato vegetatively, while there are a variety of options.
- Cuttings taken from adult yam bushes. The method is suitable only in tropical areas, where yams are grown by whole plantations. Due to high temperatures and optimum moisture content, sweet potatoes take root quickly and grow well.
- Propagated sweet potato slices of tubers with sprouts. The method is also suitable mainly for areas with hot and humid climates (tropics, subtropics). In other regions, yields low yields, that is unproductive.
- Through the cultivation of seedlings (the most popular way of growing sweet potatoes on an industrial scale).
- Reproduction using tubers. This option is identical to the cultivation of potatoes, but the yam is very thermophilic, and it takes a long period to form tubers on a bush. The method is good for the southern regions, but not suitable for temperate zones.
- Reproduction shoots grown on tubers, followed by rearing. This is how it is usually grown sweet potatoes in the middle zone and other regions with a harsh climate. Tubers are planted on the seedlings in February, and then the shoots are rooted in the ground and grow to planting on a permanent place. But even with this method of growing sweet root vegetables, it is necessary to select early-ripe varieties with shorter ripening periods. This will give the opportunity to get a crop of tubers in areas of high-risk farming.
Planted stalks of yam in pre-prepared wells.
When planting, it is important to consider the characteristics of the variety, its size. For sweet potatoes of large-varietal varieties, wells are made at a distance of 60-70 cm, for varieties with short whips, 30 cm will be quite enough.
Plants are planted in rows, respecting the distance between them (up to 80 cm for short striders, up to 120 for long ones).
Despite the fact that the whole culture is not particularly capricious, it requires care. Without observance of certain rules of agrotechnology, small tubers will grow on a bush and all efforts will be in vain.
Solar plots, illuminated by the sun all day, are the best beds for growing yams. It is important to ensure that plants do not fall shadow, as this affects the formation of tubers.
Be sure to remove all the weeds from the garden, while it is necessary not to tear them, and pull out with the root. Sweet potatoes do not tolerate such a neighborhood, the tubers should feel free. In addition, weeds can serve as sources of various infections, contribute to the appearance of pests.
The sweet potato has an excellent “appetite”, therefore during the cultivation period, it needs additional feeding. If the soil was well fertilized in the fall, it would be enough to feed the crop a couple of times over the summer. Organic matter is used for this, and in the second half of the growing season, potash “lunches” for sweet potatoes are given priority. Great for fertilizing infusion of wood ash, you can also use ready-made formulations purchased in the store.
Sweet potatoes love moisture, but do not tolerate its excess. Especially a lot of water is required by the sweet potato during the growth of the bush, so at this time the culture is often watered. But in any case, the irrigation schedule should be determined taking into account the weather and precipitation.
Watered with settled and warm water, often watering combined with dressings.
Since the second half of the growing season reduce the number of waterings, as well as volumes. This is done to better form and ripen tubers. But the reduction is done smoothly, avoiding sudden drops.
Two to three weeks before digging the tubers, watering is completely stopped.
Collection and storage
In September, the long-awaited harvest of sweet potato tubers begins. Terms of harvesting depend on the climate of the region, variety, the main thing is to remove the heat-loving sweet potato before the onset of cold weather.
Yellowing of the leaves of the plant will signal that the tubers are ready for harvest.
Dig up roots on a clear fine day, gently brushing off the ground from them. It is not allowed to tap the tubers against each other in order not to damage their thin skin.
Usually, it takes from 90 to 120 days from planting time to ripening (the exact period is determined by the variety of sweet potatoes), but if it is cold early, there is no need to withstand root crops in the garden.
After digging it is recommended to keep the tubers in the street under the sun, for initial drying. Term - not less than a week. If the weather does not allow, the sweet potato is laid out in rooms, providing a temperature not lower than + 30ºC and humidity up to 80%. In this case, the tubers must be turned over, and the room is aired.
Duration of such drying is 7-10 days. Wash the tubers is not required, but immediately select those that will go to the next season for growing shoots for seedlings, it is necessary. Usually selected medium-sized roots, without damage and visible defects.
In dried tubers, the peel will slightly harden, allowing them to be preserved in the winter without much hassle. After drying, the sweet potato is transferred to boxes, boxes and stored for storage in a warm, dry place.
The optimal temperature for storing sweet potatoes in winter is from + 14ºC to + 18ºC. It is necessary to control the temperature and the level of humidity (it must be low), otherwise the yam will rot and deteriorate.
When harvesting root crops in wet weather, their quality deteriorates. Most often, it is difficult to keep such yams in winter, so they are allowed to feed livestock or immediately used as food.
Sweet potato varieties
There are hundreds of varieties of sweet potatoes bred by breeders from different countries. In each region of the world grow their varieties that are adapted to specific conditions.
The review will show the characteristics of various varieties of this tasty root, both domestic and foreign selection.
This variety is considered one of the most reliable, and therefore grown in many regions of Russia. Included in the group of early mattes, matures in about 90 days. The bush forms whips with simple leaves, tubers of medium size, aligned.
The skin color is creamy, pinkish, the flesh has an orange-yellow tint.
The taste of the pulp is very pleasant, the aroma of banana and walnut is felt. At the same time immediately after digging, the tubers have a neutral taste, that is, they need time to acquire taste.
In storage, the variety is not particularly good, unstable to rot.
Batat Druzhkovsky, in all likelihood, is a variety of domestic breeding (Soviet). It is grown for a long time, it is distinguished by unpretentiousness, good taste.
It tolerates drought well, forms quite large root crops. A feature of the variety is its abundant flowering (a rarity for most varieties of sweet potatoes).
Reviews of gardeners indicate that this yam grows well in a temperate climate (for example, in the Leningrad region). Druzhkovsky can be recommended for those who only master the cultivation of this crop.
It is an early variety (up to 100 days), suitable for cultivation in the northern areas. Forms a stocky shrub, roots are deposited at great depths.
Root crops are usually large, the skin is pink, with a violet tinge, the flesh is snow-white and very juicy. It tastes like ordinary potatoes, but with sweetness. Appreciated for simplicity and productivity.
Another very common variety of sweet potatoes - Beoregard, which was bred by breeders in the United States. Differs in leveled beautiful root vegetables having orange pulp.
The variety is one of the champions among the sweet potatoes for carotene content. Used fresh, as well as for baking.
Tastes are excellent, when cooking, there is a special pleasant aroma, very similar to the flavor of apricot.
The sweet potato variety owes its name to the peel, which has a rich pink color. Beautiful and the yam bush - green leaves are formed on the stems of purple.
The root crops extended, leveled, pulp inside white color. Some may have weak ribbing.
The taste of root vegetables is pleasant, used for processing and fresh. The peculiarity of the Ginseng red variety is not a compact occurrence of tubers, so you need to be very careful when digging. This sweet potato is well kept.
A variety of medium-term maturation, forming tubers of a pale yellow color. Inside - dense and crispy flesh, having a pinkish or orange hue.
Tastes are excellent, a pronounced nutmeg aroma is felt. Shrubs with lashes of medium length, usually each plant forms up to 3-4 root crops. They can be near the bush, and in the distance.
From varieties with orange tubers can be distinguished Garnet (common in the US), Betty. The group of pink sweet potatoes, in addition to Muscat, includes also varieties such as Caramel, Egyptian, and among whites O'Henry and Sukhum white are distinguished.
Batat - growing in central Russia
In order to grow this overseas root in the middle band, will have to try. Для начала надо правильно выбрать сорта, отдав предпочтение раннеспелым бататам (от 90 до 110-115 дней). Поздние сорта сладкого картофеля просто не успеют сформировать полноценные клубни.
Также надо учесть длину плетей сорта, и высаживать на небольших участках короткоплестистые сорта.
Sweet potatoes are grown by the seedling method (described in detail above), while in the northern areas they practice growing the seedlings in pots or water. What does this give?
Often the shoots on the tubers have reached the optimum height and can be cut and planted in the garden. But weather conditions do not allow this, and then the shoots are planted in containers with the ground. Excellent for this plastic cups of 0.5 liters, in the bottom of which make a drainage hole.
Shoots buried in the ground by about 2-4 cm, sprinkled with earth. As the ground dries, the seedlings are watered, and about a week before planting, the cups are taken out for hardening to fresh air.
Planting is carried out only when the soil is fully heated, otherwise the yam will simply die. Excellent results are obtained by growing sweet potatoes in the ridges. The yield also increases when the plants are covered with a film, which gardeners often do in the middle lane and regions of the North-West.
If plants have new leaves, it means that the sweet potato has taken root and has gone to growth.
But there are a number of other pests about which we should not forget and certainly carry out preventive work. These include:
- rodents (mice).
From slugs helps dusting the soil with ashes, ground pepper or tobacco dust. Also, gardeners often collect slugs manually. Mustard powder can be used from the wireworm (fall asleep in the wells before planting), it is also recommended to plant a couple of mustard bushes on beds with sweet potatoes.
Methods of dealing with mice are different, ranging from special preparations and ending with traps.
Under the conditions of the middle lane, sweet potatoes are removed in mid-September, again focusing on the weather. If cold nights are established, they do not drag out with cleaning, as already with
+ 7ºC yam can freeze slightly. Tubers, of course, dig it, but storage will be very short.
I grow yams for the second year, I live near Kursk. Undemanding vegetable, there is no Colorado potato beetle, but it gives a lot of greenery (then I use it for cattle feed).
I have three dessert varieties (sweet), one table (not sweet). It is not necessary to try the sweet potato immediately after digging, as it is necessary for it to lie down and gain taste. I keep at home in a box near the balcony door.
Planted sweet potatoes varieties of Georgia Red. The bushes were good, the tubers were also not bad, if it weren't for the wireworm and the grubs. They ate both potatoes and sweet potatoes. Therefore, the storage of almost no whole root crops, and which were normal, baked. The taste is not bad, but it is possible that there are varieties and sweeter ones.
Next year I will still plant, only I will take into account that it is necessary to take measures against pests.
Last year I grew a sweet potato for the first time. Planted seedlings in three receptions, from May 9, the last planted on June 4. I did not see any difference, the early May bushes did not overtake the later ones.
In total, 30 bushes were planted, about 50 kg of tubers were harvested. We had a heat, so we watered often, almost every other day. But only a few managed to try, because unknowingly they deposited all the roots in the cellar and they spoiled it.
Then I learned that it is necessary to store not as a potato, but rather at home.
The composition of sweet potatoes
There are many varieties of sweet potatoes. They differ in color of the peel and pulp, form, chemical composition. However, each tuber has:
- fiber (dietary fiber),
- organic acids
- monosaccharides (glucose),
- antioxidants - beta-carotene, anthocyanins, quercetin (vitamin P),
- trace elements (iron, magnesium, selenium, zinc, calcium, honey, potassium, copper, manganese, phosphorus).
The content of vitamins sweet potato several times higher than ordinary potatoes. 100 grams of pulp contains:
- 0, 3 ml of beta-carotene,
- 0.15 ml of thiamine (B1),
- 0.05 ml of riboflavin (B2)
- 23 ml of ascorbic acid (C)
- 0.6 ml of nicotinic acid (PP).
In addition, the “vitamin kit” includes vitamins A (retinol), B4 (choline), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6 (pyridoxine), B9 (folic acid), E, K.
Despite the rather large amount of sugars, sweet potatoes belong to low-calorie foods. The nutritional value of 100 grams of pulp is 59-61 kcal. 100 g of sweet potatoes contain 2 g of proteins, 14.6 g of carbohydrates, 0.01 g of fats..
Useful properties for the body
High saturation with healthy substances makes sweet potatoes not only a tasty product, but also allows its use in therapeutic, dietary and sports nutrition:
- Vitamin A helps people who are actively involved in sports or hard physical labor, recuperate. Sports nutrition, containing sweet potatoes, contributes to the rapid build-up of muscle mass.
- Due to the high content of retinol, the yam is recommended to be eaten by a heavy smoker, as the prevention of pulmonary emphysema, caused by a lack of vitamin A in the body.
- Retinol and Vitamin E increase skin elasticity and prevent the early appearance of wrinkles, contributing to the production of halogen, and a high content of fiber allows you to quickly reach a state of satiety and promotes fat absorption, which is very useful for weight loss.
- Beta-carotene improves eyesight.
- Because of the low glycemic index and the high content of carotenoids that increase insulin susceptibility, sweet potato dishes are included in the diet of people with diabetes.
- It is recommended to introduce in the menu dishes of sweet potatoes and people with gastritis, duodenal ulcer, stomach. Vegetable helps to strengthen the gastric mucosa, improves the condition of constipation.
- Some elements contained in sweet potatoes (especially vitamin B6) strengthen the walls of blood vessels, prevent the formation of cholesterol plaques, regulate pressure and water balance, which makes it extremely useful in cardiovascular diseases.
- Antioxidants and vitamin C contribute to the prevention of cancer.
- Potassium helps to cope with the effects of stressful situations, chronic insomnia and fatigue, neurosis, depression, relieves muscle spasms caused by its deficiency. Choline improves memory.
- Possessing an anti-inflammatory effect, sweet potato relieves the condition during inflammation of the brain and nerve tissue. It increases blood clotting, preventing large blood loss in injuries, abdominal operations and speeding up wound healing.
Although a sweet potato has many useful properties, it can, if it does not follow the rules of healthy eating, cause serious harm to the human body:
- A large number of acids contained in the sweet potato, can worsen the condition during the acute form of duodenal ulcer and stomach, ulcerative colitis, gastritis, diverticulosis.
- Oxalate substances contained in yam contribute to the formation of sand and kidney stones, gall bladder.
- For people with renal insufficiency, “overdose” of yam is dangerous, it can provoke an overabundance of potassium in the blood.
- Too much of the sweet potato in the diet can lead to the development of vitamin A hypervitaminosis and provoke liver disease.
- Batata is an exotic product and the body can react to it with an allergic reaction, which is manifested by skin rashes, itching, difficulty breathing - especially careful should be tasting sweet potato dishes for people who are allergic to plants of the dioscoreania family.
- The saturation of the active substances makes the sweet potato a rather dangerous product for pregnant and lactating women, presumably the consumption of sweet potatoes can provoke a miscarriage, leading to the occurrence of congenital anomalies and abnormalities in the infant.
So far, no information has been published on the interaction of the yam with medicines. Although it is clear that people taking hormone replacement, anti-inflammatory, anti-cholesterol drugs, beta-blockers need to be careful.
How to choose when buying?
There are many varieties and varieties of sweet potatoes, especially which should be considered when buying. Batat is divided into three main groups:
- afthaving white or yellowish pulp, with thin skin, dishes from it are dryish, savory, taste similar to ordinary potatoes,
- vegetable - dark varieties of sweet potatoes with thick skin and rich orange, pink, yellow flesh, suitable for roasting, boiling, stewing, rarely used in fried form,
- dessert - purple, purple, red varieties with a varied taste of yellow or orange flesh (melon, banana, pumpkin, chestnut, walnut, melon, carrot, pineapple).
Choosing a sweet potato should pay attention to the condition of the skin. It should be dense, smooth without scratches, wrinkles, stains. For use in cooking it is better to choose not very large hard root crops without damage.
How to cook and eat?
Universal sweet potato root - it is boiled, baked, fried, eaten raw. In Asia, the popular salad varieties with edible leaves. A coffee substitute is made from the dried seeds, and a tea substitute is made from the leaves. Koreans even manage to cut the sweet potato roots into vegetable noodles.
In China, a hot soup with sweet potatoes is traditionally included in the winter menu. Americans bake sweet potatoes on the grill, add to salads, deep-fried. From the dessert varieties, jam and jam are made, various desserts are prepared. Dried roots are ground into flour, which is used for baking.
The easiest way to eat yam raw, for this it is simply washed well under running water. It is possible and not to scrape off the skin - it contains many useful trace elements.
You can make salad from sweet potato leaves. Leaves are pre-soaked so that bitterness comes out of them, then they are boiled or cut raw. The leaves of the sweet potato are well combined with tomatoes, onions, ginger, mango, pineapple, spinach and other vegetables and fruits. As a dressing, sugar-vinegar mixture, Dijon mustard, olive oil, balsamic and wine vinegar are commonly used.
Boiled roots are also suitable for salads, and fodder and vegetable varieties successfully replace ordinary potatoes in any traditional recipe, giving a well-known dish an unusual flavor.
Cooking yam is simple:
- Peel the skin, cut the large roots into pieces, small boil whole.
- Put the roots in the pot, pour cold water, so that it completely covers them, salt.
- Cook under a closed lid on medium heat for 20-30 minutes until soft.
Boiled sweet potatoes are mashed, diluted with milk and adding a variety of ingredients - bananas, berries, pumpkin, spices (cinnamon, curry), nuts, raisins, honey, vegetable or butter.
The technology of cooking sweet potato is almost the same as cooking dishes from potatoes and pumpkins, only additives of salt and sugar are required significantly less.
Every year exotic yams are becoming more and more popular in Russia. It has already been successfully grown not only by gardeners as a curiosity, but also by farmers for deliveries to retail chains. A versatile vegetable in its preparation, saturated with useful substances, when used sensibly, can diversify the menu, help in the treatment of diseases and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
What does yam look like
Depending on the variety, root vegetables come in different colors (from cream to purple) and shapes (oval, round, spindle and drop-shaped). In its wild form, the plant is considered a perennial, but as a culture it is grown for one season. There are both fodder varieties and cultural (dessert-vegetable) varieties.
Despite the outward similarity of sweet potato tubers with potatoes, they are completely different in taste and type of plant growth. Potatoes belong to the nightshade; it is an erect herb. His sweet fellow is a winding vine. Their tubers also have a different biological nature.
Would you be interested to know about the beneficial properties of radish? Read more in this article.
Many people confuse "sweet potato" with "earthen pear", Jerusalem artichoke. Batata and Jerusalem artichoke - the difference between these plants is enormous. If the first is a bindweed, then the second is a mini sunflower with bright yellow flowers, “sunflowers”. The height of Jerusalem artichoke can reach 3-4 m. To taste, its tubers in their raw form resemble a cabbage stalk.
Composition and nutritional value of root vegetables
Excellent taste of the tubers of the plant were noticed by people for a long time. This is no accident, because they contain the following substances:
valuable minerals, micro and macro elements (K, Ca, Mg, P, Fe),
a large amount of vitamins (A, C, B1, B2, PP),
there is also a rare in natural products vitamin - niacin, which is responsible for blood circulation and brain function.
For people leading a healthy lifestyle, it is important to know how many calories in a sweet potato, whether its use does not harm the figure.
The tubers contain the minimum number of calories, raw yam has an energy value of 86 kcal per 100 g, boiled without peel - 76 kcal, which allows you to use yam during weight loss.
Having considered the sweet potato, its beneficial properties and contraindications, many will wonder how to use this miracle vegetable? Can yams eat raw? Here are some ways to use it.
How to make sweet potato pancakes; watch the following video
Take the washed root vegetable, cut it in two halves, put in the oven for about half an hour. During the preparation of the main ingredient it is necessary to prepare the spinach stuffing: a few leaves of spinach (about 200 g), hot pepper to taste, finely chop the onion, salt and pepper, add olive oil. Apply all this mixture to the surface of yam tubers 10-15 minutes before the end of cooking.
Baked sweet potato has a caloric value of about 60 kcal. It is useful to use for people with increased body weight. Root with this method of cooking retains all the nutrients and is a tasty dish. Tubers in the baked form are recommended to use by nutritionists. They contribute to rapid saturation and suppress hunger for a long time. Batat can be included in the menu for weight loss, this product with a mass of nutrients saturates, rejuvenates the body, getting rid of extra pounds.
Recipe 3 (for the face)
Take a peeled medium-sized root vegetable, cut it into pieces, pour a little milk. Boil 10 minutes. Grind the mixture with a blender or masher to a puree. In the resulting mass add 2 tsp of olive oil. Apply to the skin for 15-20 minutes. After such a mask, the skin becomes soft, velvety, elastic. Wrinkles are smoothed, face becomes fresh. Suitable for all skin types.
Recipe 4 (for weight loss)
This recipe does not use the product itself, but its decoction. Peeled and cut into yam pieces placed in a saucepan, pour water. Boil for 10-15 minutes. Cooled to an acceptable temperature, the decoction obtained as a result of cooking is taken 30 minutes before meals. It contains peptides that speed up the metabolism, give a feeling of satiety. This recipe is effective for obesity. The broth and the root crop itself in boiled form is useful for the weaker half of humanity for “female” health, as it contains the natural hormone progesterone.
How does kefir with buckwheat in the morning help lose those extra pounds? Find out right now!
What is more useful, sweet potatoes or potatoes
Sweet root vegetable is often compared with the familiar to all potatoes, which takes 4th place as a food crop. It is interesting to know what is more useful, sweet potatoes or potatoes.
Studies conducted by American scientists have shown that the "sweet potato" is more useful than its namesake. 100 g of root contains a huge amount of vitamin A, yellow varieties - more than carrots.
Plain potatoes are not made to be eaten raw, and raw yam can be eaten with health benefits.
“Sweet Potatoes” should be a permanent ingredient on your table. This product will help get rid of ailments and prevent the development of many diseases. The calorie content of the sweet potato, its properties are studied by the adherents of a healthy lifestyle and vegetarianism.
On the beneficial properties of yam see the video
Everything speaks in favor of this wonderful root. In the absence of contraindications, it can be used to lose weight, restore sugar and cholesterol, and rejuvenate the skin.