False pregnancy in women is considered to be quite rare, but it still takes place. Experts rank it more likely to the types of psycho-emotional disorders. The fact is that in such a situation, representatives of the beautiful half of humanity are so strongly confident in their “interesting” position that they are often even able to provoke the subsequent manifestation of certain physiological symptoms. Consider in this article in more detail the issue, and also find out what are the signs of a false pregnancy. With regard to the latter, the proposed in the article may differ from each woman and manifest themselves in varying degrees.
Symptoms of false pregnancy
Most often, this kind of disease, according to specialists, occurs in women who have an unstable psyche. In medicine, this disease is even called "hysterical pregnancy." The so-called risk group includes, first of all, those women who are afraid of becoming mothers or, on the contrary, are waiting for this event with great impatience. False pregnancy in women, or rather its symptoms, also occur in those who are prone to empathy. For example, if a sister or close friend is in the position, then the lady begins to feel pregnant, as they say, “for the company”. So, we list the main features:
- Violation of the menstrual cycle (in some cases, even there is a complete stop for the next few months).
- Violation of the intestinal motility (constipation and flatulence, like when carrying a fetus, create the wrong sense of activity inside).
- Increased irritability and overwork.
- Due to the violation of the digestive tract there is an increase in the abdomen volume.
- Changes in the appearance of the mammary glands (swelling, colostrum production).
- Almost complete change in taste preferences.
False pregnancy in women. How to recognize it?
In fact, doctors warn that determining a false pregnancy, as a rule, is not difficult. The thing is that at the first ultrasound examination a woman will understand that there is no fetus inside the womb, therefore, there is no pregnancy itself. In addition, you can do even the most common test for the hormone hCG. However, on the other hand, the whole problem lies in the fact that the lady does not believe in the tests or any other additional research.
False pregnancy in women. Treatment
Doctors warn that therapy is a rather difficult task. Most often, a lady can refuse to visit a specialist at all. On the contrary, she is rapidly beginning to study the literature on this issue, to buy things and toys for the baby. In such a situation, a psychotherapist usually comes to the rescue. His method of treatment contributes to the fact that the lady should realize that in the future she will still be able to give birth to a child, this is by no means a cross on her health and condition in general. It is believed that this problem happens only once in a lifetime.
Why does it happen?
Imaginary pregnancy is not as common, in 3-4 cases for 22 thousand of these pregnancies. But what is the reason?
- Most often it is a strong desire or excessive fear of conceiving and giving birth to a child. Girls are so "get used to the role," that even the hormones begins to change, and entails physical changes.
- Similar conditions can occur in cases when a close friend or relative of a woman is in a position for whom she is very worried.
- Women aged 35-40 years suffering from infertility are also at risk. As well as those who have been diagnosed with secondary amenorrhea (absence of menstruation for more than six months).
- Among the possible patients of the psychotherapist are also girls who frantically desire to give birth to a baby quickly, in order to maintain a relationship with a man.
- Another case of significant mental and physiological changes is the loss of a child. The woman refuses for a long time to accept and understand the loss, remaining confident that the baby will soon be born.
But besides this, the reasons can be the suppression of sexuality, stress, and even prolonged separation from family people.
Medical studies confirm that this problem is often related to the work of the pituitary gland. It is this part of the brain that is responsible for producing enough hormones during pregnancy. Their excessive production due to stress and strong feelings can lead to psychological changes.
How does it manifest itself?
Pseudo-pregnancy therefore has such a name, because with its symptoms it is very similar to the true development of the fetus in the womb. Without the necessary examinations, they are easily confused:
- discharge during menstruation becomes very scarce or disappears altogether
- there are signs of early toxicosis: morning sickness, frequent mood swings, vomiting, unusual taste preferences,
- chest grows and swells, colostrum may appear,
- weight begins to grow, the belly grows, and a specific curvature of the spine, characteristic of pregnant women, may also appear
- increased peristalsis can create the illusion of fetal movement.
Such symptoms last in women most often over a period of 3-4 months, but there are also longer cases.
What to do if a woman has symptoms of pseudo-pregnancy?
In spite of the fact that this problem is mainly of a psychological nature, it is still necessary to contact a gynecologist. First you need to confirm the fact of pseudo-pregnancy with ultrasound and the most simple tests. But the diagnosis can sometimes be complicated by a positive test.
To eliminate illusory feelings, it is often enough to hold a conversation with a woman, as well as to provide psychological support from relatives and friends.
When self-hypnosis is overcome, the menstrual cycle will recover on its own. But it happens that the need is hormone therapy, as well as antidepressants and psychiatric examination.
In any case, if the symptoms are similar to an imaginary pregnancy, you should definitely consult a doctor, as these symptoms may indicate a more serious problem - ovarian tumors.
Be attentive to your health and let the problems pass you by!
Types of poisoning
Poisoning have a number of classifications:
- casual and suicidal,
- household and production,
- food poisoning and drugs.
According to the pace and clinical development distinguish acute and chronic poisoning. The first is very often found in everyday life due to the use of potent chemicals and medicines.
Also, poisoning is distinguished depending on the route of infection:
- through the mouth (with food, expired drugs or overdose),
- inhalation (for example, gas poisoning),
- through the skin or mucous membranes.
In addition, poisoning is possible if some medical procedures are incorrectly performed (intramuscular and intravenous injections, enemas). In these cases, the intestine, uterus, vagina may be poisoned. Such cases are the most difficult to diagnose.
Symptoms of poisoning
Poisoning can occur due to various reasons: intoxication, food poisoning, intestinal infection. But there are always a number of symptoms: fever, chills, fever, abdominal distension, vomiting, dizziness, a drop in blood pressure (sometimes up to fainting), vomiting, thirst and dry mouth.
These signs of poisoning appear, usually 3-5 hours after the poison enters the body. However, in acute poisoning, after 1-2 hours, severe severe abdominal pain, repeated vomiting, blue lips, discoloration of the face, interruptions in the cardiovascular system, that is, pulse may occur. With these symptoms, an urgent need to call a doctor.
What is toxicosis?
With the poisoning figured out, now you need to understand what is toxicosis. Most people believe that toxicosis is a disease that is unique to pregnant women. This is a mistake, since toxemia refers to diseases caused by exposure to the body of toxins of endogenous origin (toxicosis during pregnancy) or exposure to exogenous toxins (toxins produced by microbes).
Classification and symptoms of toxicosis
There are several types of toxicosis:
Waterhouse-Frideriksen syndrome or toxicosis with adrenal insufficiency. Symptoms - a sharp increase in body temperature up to 40 degrees Celsius, change in skin color to a pale bluish, bright red-cherry rash, general deterioration, lethargy, respiratory failure, palpitations, arrhythmia, tachycardia.
Reye syndrome or toxicosis with liver failure. Symptoms - fever, nausea, vomiting, convulsions, confusion, poor response to light. The cause of this toxicosis are viruses - enterovirus, respiratory virus. Most often affected children up to three years.
Toxicosis with renal failure. Symptoms - nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, swelling of the face in the lips, nose and mouth, possible bleeding from the nose, tachycardia.
Toxicosis in pregnant women. Occurs in the first 12-14 weeks of pregnancy. Symptoms and intensity depend on the general condition of the woman. In healthy, it proceeds almost imperceptibly, and in women with renal, hepatic and other deficiencies, the course of the disease is complicated. Symptoms - regular nausea and vomiting, while the appetite does not disappear, and in some cases, on the contrary, increases. Vomiting is usually in the morning or as a reaction to certain odors, such as fish, fried, etc. Share three degrees of toxicity pregnant. At the first degree, the general condition of the woman is satisfactory, vomiting is not more than 2-3 times a day. The second degree is characterized by an increase in the frequency of vomitous feces up to 8-10 times a day, a woman’s weight loss, detection of acetone in the blood. The third degree is a dangerous condition for a woman and her child, when the temperature rises, vomiting increases, and the pulse accelerates.
Toxicosis during pregnancy or poisoning?
Mild poisoning can really be confused with toxicosis in pregnant women, but there are significant differences that every expectant mother needs to know to protect herself and her baby. Toxicosis never begins suddenly, it usually worries women in the morning in the first 12-14 weeks of pregnancy, the body temperature does not rise, the stool is normal, and there is no lack of appetite. Symptoms of toxicosis recur day-to-day, as a rule, to the same extent, that is, there are no dramatic improvements or deterioration. Poisoning occurs abruptly - approximately 3-5 hours after the use of poor-quality food, it begins with vomiting and diarrhea with a noticeable change in general well-being, an increase in body temperature to 37–39 ° C, heaviness, and bloating.
At the first suspicion of poisoning, you should immediately consult a doctor. In no case can not self-medicate. Adequate and timely assistance of specialists is the key to the health of the unborn child!
The essence of the state, the causes of
False schizness (or, as it is often called by dog handlers, "spoon") occurs after the end of estrus, on average, after 4-8 weeks. Also, a similar condition is observed after unsuccessful mating, when fertilization has not occurred. The dog's body begins to produce the same set of hormones, which is usually produced during a real pregnancy. In parallel with this, internal restructuring is accompanied by corresponding symptoms - the bitch's behavior shows signs of “nesting”, the mammary glands swell, colostrum begins to stand out and even milk from false pregnancies appears from the nipples, as during natural successful fertilization.
If you do not take into account the historical background of the occurrence of hormonal pregnancy, the main reason is considered to be violations during the sexual cycle. The cycle itself is divided into 4 main periods:
- Proestrus (a period of time on the eve of estrus when the body prepares eggs for potential fertilization).
- Estrus (estrus period).
- Metaestrus (time after estrus, when the corpus luteum regresses in the absence of fertilization).
- Anestrus (a period of hormone dormancy, when the female has no sexual activity).
"Disruption" in the hormonal system is observed in the period of metaestrus. The physiological characteristic of dogs is the course of the corpus luteum regression, which is equal to the gestation period. Those. the yellow body is fully functioning at the time of regression over the next 2 months, regardless of the presence or absence of fertilization. Also during this period, the same hormones are produced in about the same amount. The slightest deviation in their work, and the level immediately leans in the "pregnant" side, increasing the production of progesterone. After a failure after the indicated 2 months, prolactin is added to progesterone, which stimulates milk production, since the body begins to prepare for feeding supposedly born puppies. Here is the explanation: there are hormones, puppies - no.
Absolutely all females are inclined to this state, regardless of size, age or breed, i.e. potentially every dog is on the edge between a false or natural pregnancy.
The main clinical symptoms of false pregnancy, its consequences
The intensity of the manifestation of the clinic depends on the intensity of hormonal failure. The main thing that should be noted: the more pseudo-pregnancy is symptomatic, the more dangerous this condition is for the health and life of the dog. Clinically, changes are manifested in two directions - behavioral and physiological. In a false pregnancy, the symptoms almost coincide with a normal mind, and only the absence of fetal movements “tells” that the pregnancy is not real.
How long does a false pregnancy last in a dog? Without complications, on average, this condition lasts about 2-3 weeks.
The main physiological symptoms include:
- swelling of the mammary glands, production and further release of colostrum and milk,
- increase and swelling of the loop, serous-mucous or brownish discharge from it (although, in general, discharge during a false pregnancy is optional),
- decrease or increase in appetite, signs of toxicosis,
- a slight increase in the abdomen,
- signs of pseudo-grabs are possible.
Specific behavioral signs:
- increased anxiety, whining,
- decrease in vital activity, apathy (the animal refuses to run / jump / play, passively, does not respond to training),
- the signs of “nesting” are clearly traced (the dog persistently arranges a “nest” for future puppies, hides in sheltered places),
- pulling soft toys into the “lair”, behavior with them, as with puppies (licking, protecting, laying them out at the abdomen),
- the transfer of maternal instinct to other small pets or even humans,
- aggressive nest protection (in severe cases).
Immediately, the state of imaginary sweeping itself does not threaten the dog. The consequences that can cause significant harm to the animal's health with a certain degree of death are dangerous.
The dangers of imaginary pregnancy:
- persistent, irreversible nervous disorders (literally a dog can go crazy),
- purulent mastitis (inflammation of the mammary glands due to milky stagnation),
- endometritis, turning into chroniosepsis (inflammation of the mucous membrane of the uterus, turning into chronic sepsis),
- pyometra (purulent inflammation in the uterus is the most dangerous consequence with a high mortality rate in dogs),
- oncology of the mammary glands and reproductive system organs.
First aid for pseudo-pregnancy and prevention
The state of imaginary pregnancy usually goes away within a few weeks and it often does not require any special actions. The owner of the kennel can only somewhat relieve her condition by simple manipulations. When a false pregnancy occurs in a dog, what should every owner of a bitch know:
- eliminate all dairy products from the diet and restrict access to fluid in doses so as not to stimulate lactation,
- to transfer the bitch from dry fodder to ordinary fodder in order to eliminate the additional stimulus of thirst, as well as to reduce the consumption of protein foods, including meat,
- reduce the standard size of the portion of food given,
- try to physically load the dog - walking, playing with a ball or a stick, etc. This will help her to escape from the imaginary care of non-existent puppies,
- It is forbidden to express milk, so as not to provoke its additional production. Пресекать попытки собаки самостоятельно слизывать (подсасывать) молоко из своих сосков (можно одеть специальный бандаж или попону),
- убрать с поля зрения игрушки и, по возможности, мелких домашних животных, которые предметно воспринимаются сукой за воображаемых щенков,
- when engaging the mammary glands, you can make compresses from breadcrumbs and honey, aloe juice or cabbage leaves (preferably at night).
With minor clinical manifestations of imaginary scopes, all of the above actions will help the dog to survive this unpleasant period without special harm to health. It is also possible to accelerate the process of its return to normal. If the symptoms persist or even increase their manifestation, it is quite possible that the animal will not be able to help without the medicinal effect.
All these measures are also suitable for preventing the occurrence of hormonal disruptions in females. Starting from 9-10 days after the cessation of estrus, it is necessary to reduce portions of food and the amount of water consumed, eliminate meat and dairy products, increase physical activity. In other words, conditions are created for the animal, which the hormonal system will be perceived as unfavorable for the appearance of offspring. All this will allow to mitigate or completely eliminate the syndrome of false whelping.
IMPORTANT: if the first signs of a false pregnancy were identified in a bitch, the owner should in no case be scolded or punished the animal for unusual behavior. The dog can not control his instinctive state, because everything happens at the level of hormones. But such an attitude can bring the state of a nervous breakdown in a pet.
If the animal does not represent any pedigree value and the owner’s plans do not include regular mating and breeding puppies, sterilization is considered to be one of the most reasonable and humane ways to prevent the exacerbation of a false pregnancy condition, as well as other gynecological problems and even problems with oncology. It is important to have time to carry out the operation in a state of resting hormone (anestrus period) or immediately after a false pregnancy, removing both the uterus and the ovaries. Sterilization in the peak of the "false" state is impossible.
Some breeders use pseudo-pregnancy with benefit - for example, they feed the puppies of other bitches, which for some reason cannot do it themselves. In such cases, this condition can be delayed, although it will cause less harm to the dog's health than treatment.
Medical care for false pregnancy
In the case when a dog has a false pregnancy, only a specialist will tell you what to treat. For treatment, drugs are selected only by a veterinarian and only after preliminary relevant studies: an ultrasound scan, a blood test for hormones and a smear to control the vaginal flora.
IMPORTANT: it is strictly forbidden to provide independent medical assistance to the dog in a state of imaginary pregnancy without consulting a veterinarian!
In the appointment of medicines is taken into account:
- breed, weight and temperament of the animal,
- the severity and duration of the "imaginary" symptoms,
- how many times the condition occurred
- are you planning further mating bitches,
- state of the reproductive system and hormonal background.
Drugs are hormonal and homeopathic. Hormonal drugs have a lot of side effects, and their use is associated with some risk. Homeopathic medicines have fewer side effects, but their use is longer and more expensive. Throughout the treatment, the dog must be under veterinary control, as any medications - even hormonal, even homeopathic - may have specific side effects, which should be detected and warned in time of their consequences.
- Ovarium Compositum
- Phytoelite Cytostat
A comprehensive homeopathic drug that restores hormones, normalizes sexual cycles and neutralizes mental disorders. For the treatment and prevention of pseudo-pregnancy in dogs.
- Dosage: intramuscularly or subcutaneously at 0.1 ml / kg of body weight once daily for 7–10 days — treatment, at the same dose 1 time per 3-4 days for two weeks — prevention.
- Side effects and contraindications: -
- Price: 10 ml bottle: 250-350 rubles, 100 ml: 1350-1500 rubles.
A comprehensive homeopathic remedy that normalizes hormone levels and restores sexual cycles. Used to eliminate behavioral changes during pseudo-pregnancy and neutralize its clinical manifestations.
- Dosage: intramuscularly, intravenously or subcutaneously, 1-4 ml (as per dog size) daily for 4-5 weeks.
- Side effects and contraindications: -
- Price: 5 ampoules / 2.2 ml of solution: 1000-1250 rubles.
Why a false pregnancy occurs
It is easy to explain the psychological reasons why an imaginary pregnancy occurs in women. Most often, this syndrome appears in suspicious and extremely impressionable women who, for whatever reason, cannot get pregnant. But why the psychological factor is supported by physiological reasons, scientists still have not fully figured out.
Doctors suggest that the imaginary pregnancy occurs under the influence of impaired pituitary in combination with hormonal imbalances and minor mental disorders. Under such a complex effect, a woman begins to clearly feel all the signs of pregnancy.
The syndrome of false pregnancy occurs for the following reasons:
- A strong desire to have a child that does not materialize due to problems with conception,
- Failed attempts to endure a child: stillbirth of a baby, miscarriages, fetal dying,
- Problems in family life, when a wife at a subconscious level tries to keep her spouse due to the birth of a baby,
- Pregnant close relative or girlfriend,
- Unstable woman's psyche, excessive excitability,
- The time before menopause, which is characterized by hormonal imbalances leading to mental disorders,
- The fear of pregnancy, which is so strong that a woman cannot think of anything else,
- Pathological changes in the endocrine system or tumor processes in the uterus or ovaries.
That is the reason why a false pregnancy develops is twofold:
Psychosomatics, being the main factor in the development of the disease, “spurs” the body to the manifestation of signs of conception. The condition of the imaginary conception is similar in manifestations to the placebo effect: no matter what drug the patient takes, he feels relieved from the symptoms of the disease, and sometimes he is completely cured of it.
If the reproductive organs have the most minor deviations from the norm, the psychological factor will strengthen them, leading to imaginary signs of conception. Thus, the development of secondary amenorrhea (absence of menstruation), accompanied by physical or psychological exhaustion, is perceived by women as the onset of pregnancy.
By the way, false pregnancy is a common phenomenon in the animal world, which is most common in dogs, that is, in animals with developed intelligence.
Neuroses, psychosis and hysteria serve as a favorable background for the development of the disease.
False pregnancy in women: symptoms and signs
Signs of a false pregnancy are difficult to distinguish from those sensations experienced by a truly pregnant woman. After all, pseudo-pregnancy is accompanied by vegetative and endocrine changes, which are also observed during a real pregnancy.
We list the false signs of pregnancy in the early stages:
- The absence of a menstrual cycle or the appearance of a slight spotting vaginal discharge,
- An increase and swelling of the mammary glands, pain in the nipples,
- Toxemia in the morning, which manifests itself not only in nausea, but also in vomiting,
- Excessive salivation
- The increase in body weight, which is recorded precisely by the abdomen,
- Modification of the spinal column,
- The gait is changing,
- There is increased fatigue,
- Often the mood changes
- Tastes are changing,
- In the lower back there is aching nagging sensations.
Disorders of the endocrine system can be so severe that a false pregnancy can "believe" and a test, showing a positive result. And a little later, if the falsehood of the situation is not revealed in time, a woman can clearly feel even a baby's stirring in the stomach. True, such situations are extremely rare.
Most often, the disease lasts about three months, since before this period a woman needs to visit a doctor for registration. At this time, and it turns out that the manifesting symptoms of a woman - false pregnancy.
Diagnosis of imaginary pregnancy
Given that all the signs of a false pregnancy in women are no different from the true state, a visual examination of the gynecologist will not help to make the correct diagnosis. The stories about strong toxemia, an enlarged breast and the date of the last menstruation do not allow to doubt the veracity of the words of the woman.
In addition, the gynecological examination can not always refute her claims. Due to many pathologies or gynecological diseases, a visual examination of a physician may not reveal the imaginary onset of conception, since signs of pregnancy (enlargement of the uterus and softening of its cervix) may mislead even an experienced specialist.
For the sake of justice it should be noted that such cardinal changes in the body are rarely diagnosed. Most often, an imaginary pregnancy is recognized at the stage of the home test or gynecological examination. The remaining doubts will dispel hardware and clinical studies: ultrasound diagnostics and blood analysis to determine the level of hCG in the body. You will also need a biochemical blood test, which will allow you to identify the concentration of important hormones, an excessive amount of which causes the sensation of the onset of a developing conception.
If using a blood test, you can completely exclude the possibility of conception, the ultrasound procedure will help not only to detect the absence of a developing fetus in the uterus, but also to identify possible pathological changes in the reproductive organs. These include dangerous diseases caused by the formation of a tumor in the uterine cavity or ovarian pathology.
Do not forget that in this case it is extremely important to diagnose differentially, not excluding the possibility of ectopic fertilization or missed abortion. Therefore, radiography of the abdominal cavity in a general view is often used as a diagnostic.
False pregnancy treatment
After a false pregnancy in women has been diagnosed using hardware and clinical studies (that is, there is no reason to doubt the absence of a true conception), adequate treatment will be required.
First, such a patient in any case will need psychological help from a professional. Imagine the state of a woman who, for several weeks, or even months, was confident that she was carrying a child under her heart, and found out that it was not so, not easy. Despair, misunderstanding, doubts about their own adequacy and refusal to believe in everything that happened - an incomplete list of emotions that overwhelm her at this moment.
A happy and understanding attitude of the gynecologist in this situation is one of the main components of the treatment. The doctor must explain to the woman that such situations did not just happen to her, tell you what caused such bright symptoms. Often need the help and specialists of a psychological profile: a psychologist or a psychotherapist who use suggestive, behavioral and cognitive methods. Well-established acupuncture and acupressure. With the help of these procedures, the effect on reflex points occurs, the neurohumoral interrelationships in the body are restored.
Drug medications are prescribed in exceptional cases when it is necessary to strengthen the method of psychological influence. Most often we are talking about sedatives, as well as antidepressants.
No less important at this time is the relationship in the family. The support of a spouse, close relatives and friends will help a woman to recover faster. In any case, relatives should understand that the healing process can take a long time.
Secondly, if such a bright imitation of pregnancy caused a disease that requires appropriate treatment, it should be started immediately. Hormonal imbalance regulates the endocrinologist, prescribing a combination of hormonal drugs. Problems gynecological plan solves the gynecologist. In case of development of tumor processes, immediate therapy should be prescribed, which will allow to stop a dangerous disease.
False pregnancy is recognized as a rare but relevant disease, as a result of which psychosomatic disorders of a different nature are manifested. You should not consider such a woman a liar, because she sincerely believes that her conception took place. The benevolent and understanding attitude of others to this problem will help the patient recover quickly and begin to live a full life, because the signs of pseudo-pregnancy after treatment are never repeated.
False pregnancy and its features
The peculiarity of the condition is that the woman does not simulate pregnancy at all, her experiences are sincere, and the symptoms fully meet the expectations. Such a disorder is rare. From 3000-4000 pregnant women, the symptoms are false only in one. Usually, when the first signs of pregnancy appear, the woman goes to the doctor to make sure that she is to become a mother. A gynecologist will easily recognize the presence of characteristic changes in the uterus, which indicate that the pregnancy has really occurred.
When a woman has illusions about her position, she is so absorbed in her new impressions that she is in no hurry to see a doctor. For 3 months or more, the false sensations caused by the imaginary development of the fetus further aggravate the mental disorder.
Even sensitive men suffer such a disorder, overreaching with their pregnant girlfriend her “suffering” and feeling guilty about what is happening to her. They may have similar symptoms.
Causes of Imaginary Symptoms
The emergence of false sensations can contribute to:
- Emotional experiences. One of them is too strong a desire to have a child. Maternity is the ultimate dream, but it’s impossible to get pregnant. A woman constantly thinks about it, enters a role from which she no longer can leave. False pregnancy syndrome may appear if she is shocked by the news that her friend, who is involuntarily jealous, became pregnant. Sometimes there is just the opposite situation, when a woman with fear thinks which loads will fall on her shoulders, how she will be tied hand and foot after the birth of the child. With the appearance of false symptoms, there is a feeling that it was exactly what she was afraid of.
- Psychological stress. Depression, which a woman experiences after a miscarriage, abortion or death of a child, causes hormonal disruption in the body. As a result, there is a delay of menstruation, autonomic and other disorders that are perceived as symptoms of a desired pregnancy.
- Gynecological pathology. These include tumor diseases of the uterus and ovaries, one of the symptoms of which is an increase in the abdomen.
- The shift in the ratio of sex hormones due to disruption of the functioning of the ovaries leads to the disappearance of menstruation (amenorrhea) and other ailments, the manifestations of which are similar to the symptoms of pregnancy.
- Diseases of the endocrine system. With such pathologies, a hormonal imbalance occurs. Disruption of the pituitary gland is the cause of changes in the state of the mammary glands, the occurrence of delayed menstruation and other symptoms.
- Physical and mental stress. Stress adversely affects health, causes ailments and mental disorders.
Note: Impatient expectation of pregnancy and the associated emotional stress often leads to the fact that a completely healthy woman remains childless.
In most cases, a false pregnancy occurs in women aged 35-45 years, especially in those who have not given birth. They understand that the birth of a child can no longer be postponed, as the body is aging. The experiences are intensified so that a false pregnancy occurs.
At risk are also 30-40-year-old women who suffer from infertility and those who have repeatedly interrupted the pregnancy or the child was born dead. The likelihood of an imaginary pregnancy is increased in women with an unstable psyche, too impressionable, prone to hysteria.
Symptoms of an imaginary pregnancy
The first sign, suggesting the presence of pregnancy, is the appearance of delayed menstruation. They can become very scarce or disappear altogether. After the patient learns the truth from the doctor and ceases to realize that she is pregnant, the menstrual irregularities disappear.
While the woman does not visit the gynecologist and does not pass the appropriate examination, she notices the typical symptoms. Even the test gives a positive result, finally misleading her.
- Nausea, vomiting - manifestations of toxicosis.
- Головокружение, повышенная утомляемость, сонливость, возникновение обморочного состояния вследствие расстройства работы вегетативной нервной системы.
- Частая смена настроения, плаксивость – признаки неврологического расстройства, возникшего на фоне гормонального сбоя.
- Увеличение живота. In fact, this is due to the increased deposition of subcutaneous fat. Because of the stress in a woman, the digestive process is disturbed, constipation appears, and intestinal swelling occurs. Because of this, the stomach grows, body weight increases.
- Feeling of fetal movement. There is an imaginary feeling that the baby in the stomach begins to move. In fact, the woman feels increased intestinal motility.
There may be an addiction to certain types of food. In very rare cases, suspicious women can even feel labor pains.
The absence of a true pregnancy can be established by a gynecologist already in the ordinary study of the state of the vagina and cervix. When a false pregnancy does not appear characteristic changes in the color of the mucous membranes, an increase in the uterus in size, a decrease in the elasticity of its walls.
The diagnosis is clarified by ultrasound, radiographic examination of the uterus and abdominal cavity. An analysis of urine and blood for the content of the hormone HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin, produced by the fetal membrane) is carried out. If the pregnancy is true, this indicator is high. In the absence of a fetus in the uterus, it is low.
Such a survey allows you to verify the absence of a frozen or ectopic pregnancy, for which there are similar symptoms.
After confirming the diagnosis, treatment is carried out only in case of endocrine pathologies or gynecological diseases.
The main difficulty is the restoration of the psychological state of a woman, the elimination of depression resulting from frustration. After self-hypnosis disappears, all symptoms of pregnancy disappear.
When neurosis occurs, a woman undergoes a course of treatment from a psychotherapist or psychologist.
The most curious cases of false pregnancy
The false pregnancy syndrome (pseudocytes) has been known for a long time. 12 similar episodes are described by the famous Hippocrates. Queen of England Maria Tudor, eager to have an heir, “got pregnant” several times, and everything looked very natural. But childbirth did not advance.
In 2013, a 37-year-old mother of two children turned to doctors. She was previously diagnosed with pregnancy, but at the 41st week, her fetus suddenly stopped beating her heart. The woman urgently had a caesarean section, but the uterus was empty! But the child was visible on the ultrasound, and even the sex was determined - a boy ...
What happens to women during a false pregnancy?
Symptoms of false pregnancy often completely coincide with the symptoms of the present: menstruation stops, nausea torments, taste preferences change, mammary glands swell, weight increases and the belly grows. Such characteristic signs as fatigue and mood swings are also added. But inspection shows that there is no fruit.
False pregnancy most often lasts from 3 to 3.5 months, but can last even longer. The abdomen can grow due to the development of subcutaneous fatty tissue, as well as atony (bowel disruption). Because of this, a woman may even feel that she is feeling the movement of the fetus inside. “Sometimes patients with pseudocyte even have positive pregnancy tests,” comments Dr. Paul Poulmen, a family doctor who works at the University of Nebraska Medical Center. “These patients have all signs of pregnancy, except for three: you don’t hear the heart rhythms of the fetus, you don’t see it during the ultrasound, and the child doesn’t come into the world.”
Causes of false pregnancy
Sigmund Freud considered pseudocyte an exclusively psychiatric issue. He described in detail the case of the patient Anna O., who considered herself pregnant from her previous psychoanalyst, Joseph Breuer. Freud called this phenomenon "transference", and later it became one of the cornerstones of Freudian theory.
Psevdotsiez often occurs in women who really want to have a child, or, on the contrary, are afraid to get pregnant. There are cases when the provocative factor is the proximity of menopause, abortion or miscarriage, sometimes the pregnancy of a friend, colleague or relative.
Dr. Bijou Basil, a psychiatrist at the University of Drexel, talks about the false births that occurred in a woman while her son's girlfriend was giving birth. “She started having contractions,” he described this incident. “She was pregnant before and said that she felt the same as then.” The doctor suggested that this was the result of the patient's desire to participate as fully as possible in the birth of her first grandson.
The cause of false pregnancy may be the so-called secondary amenorrhea - this is when the menstrual cycle stops for 6 months or more. Usually, this pathology is accompanied by various ailments that a woman takes for pregnancy.
These symptoms can be the result of stress and significant stress, both physical and moral.
Researchers from the University of Michigan found that in a false pregnancy, as in a normal one, the body increases the concentration of certain hormones, for example, estrogen and prolactin. According to Dr. Mary Erskine, a biologist at Boston University, which studies the neurology of the reproductive systems, disturbing emotions can be the impetus for establishing a delicate link between mind and body. “Stress can really affect the regularity of the ovulation cycle,” she says.
However, the aforementioned doctor Poulmen believes that modern science still knows too little about the causes of a false pregnancy, since in most cases the pathology is connected with the work of the brain. “The pituitary gland is located right at the base of the brain, and it is from there that all the hormones arrive during pregnancy,” he says. “This is one of the classic examples in medicine of how the mind affects the body.”
If you notice signs of pregnancy, you should consult a doctor as soon as possible. The fact is that an imaginary pregnancy may indicate a serious illness - for example, inflammation or swelling of the ovaries. If you have not found any physiological causes of a false pregnancy, then you have a direct route to a psychologist or psychotherapist. Often, in such situations, sedatives and hormonal treatments are prescribed.