- How to distinguish a stone from glass
- How to distinguish a diamond
- How to distinguish a real emerald
- - strong magnifier,
- - magnet,
- - accurate electronic scales,
- - woolen fabric and paper.
- How to identify topaz
Tip 4: What a stone chrysolite
Characteristics of chrysolite. Chrysolite (or Peridot) belongs to the minerals of the island silicate subclass. The color of chrysolite is green, however, depending on the impurities, shades vary from yellow-green to brown-green. One of the largest deposits of chrysolite is located on an island located in the central part of the Red Sea. This mineral is also mined in the territory of the Russian Federation, namely in the northern regions of the Krasnoyarsk Territory and in the Republic of Sahe. The Khangai Plateau (Mongolia) is considered to be a rich deposit of chrysolite. In the world there are several deposits of a unique mineral that has won the hearts of many generations of people.
Use chrysolite. It is interesting that initially chrysolite was considered exclusively male stone, which decorated the robes of clergy and emperors. Also chrysolites were used to decorate religious paraphernalia, church utensils. Later, this mineral was used as inserts in rings, earrings, bracelets, pendants and brooches. Chrysolite harmonizes well with gold and silver.
The healing properties of chrysolite. Since ancient times, there is a perception that chrysolite can improve eyesight. Currently, traditional healers use the mineral to treat mental, cardiovascular, colds, as well as for diseases associated with disorders of the musculoskeletal system and nervous system.
The magical properties of chrysolite. XRhizolite protects the owner from accidents and natural disasters. In ancient times, this mineral was attributed to the ability to warn the owner of the danger and the machinations of enemies. Chrysolite increases self-confidence, improves mood.
Chrysolite care. When using products with chrysolite, contact of the stone with abrasive substances should be avoided, since the strength of chrysolite is not very high and scratches easily occur on the surface of the stone.
Tip 5: What is the emerald stone
Emerald- one of the most beautiful gemstones, is a type of beryl, and is obliged to its dense green color of chromium impurity. Emerald is a mineral of green color, its shades can be from the lightest to very dark, sometimes with a yellow or bluish tint. As a rule, stones with shimmer are the cheapest, too light and too dark emeralds are also not highly valued. The main emerald deposit is located in South America, and this mineral is also mined in Russia, some countries in Africa and the Middle East, in India and the USA.
Who is the emerald? Since ancient times, emerald is considered a mother and child's stone, so decoration with this mineral can be a good gift for a pregnant woman or an accomplished mother. Also, the emerald can be a good talisman for people of creative professions. Emeralds love honest, good people and do not fit evil, greedy and deceitful individuals.
The healing properties of emerald. In ancient times, mixed with buffalo milk, powdered emerald was considered a good antidote to snake venom. Emerald will relieve from certain diseases of the nervous system, from nervous disorders, help keep your eyesight sharp and eyes healthy. Also wearing this mineral helps strengthen the digestive, cardiovascular, nervous system, helps alleviate the condition in viral, infectious diseases, normalizes body temperature and blood pressure, helps to live with diabetes.
The magical properties of emerald. Since ancient times, properties have been attributed to emeralds that help their owners penetrate the secrets of the past and see the future. A stone belonging to a pregnant woman or a mother helps to take the trouble away from her children, protects from the evil eye, helps to keep breast milk. Also, emerald protects the owner from misfortune, betrayal, lies, gives the ability to convince other people, attracts luck.
Emerald care. To care for a silver product with an emerald insert, use an aqueous solution of baking soda. Products made of gold and platinum are best cleaned with special products that can be purchased at any jewelry salon. The emerald does not like temperature fluctuations, therefore, ultrasound and steam cleaning provided by some jewelry workshops are not suitable for this stone. At home, it is best to clean the emerald with a cotton pad or flannel cloth and clean water.
Since these stones are the best friends of girls, they most often raise doubts. How to determine the diamond at home?
- Diamonds are very hard. And to identify such a sign, you can try to scratch the surface, for example, with emery paper. Not a single trace will remain on the natural stone.
- Dip a stone into the water. It will continue to shine, if it is natural. But the fake will be almost imperceptible.
- Look at the stone in the light, turning its face to itself. If it is natural, then the back faces, like mirrors, will reflect light, so you will see only one luminous point. A fake will pass light well.
- Try to breathe on the mineral. If this is the original, then there will be no perspiration.
- This diamond does not attract dust, unlike fakes.
True rubies are very beautiful and have a number of specific properties that can be used to determine authenticity.
Methods for determining the naturalness of ruby:
- First of all, it is worth assessing the color. It should not be too bright and saturated.
- Because of the low thermal conductivity and heat capacity, the stone will appear cold, even if you hold it in your palm.
- View the mineral through a magnifying glass. You can detect microscopic bubbles and blotches. But in color they should not differ from the stone itself. In fakes, however, they can be lighter or hollow.
- Put the stone in a glass container. If the mineral is real, it will become reddish.
- If you put a ruby in milk, it will get a pinkish tint.
Such gems as emeralds are considered among the rarest, so they are very expensive. And, of course, they are actively forged. But you can protect yourself from cheating. Well consider the mineral, preferably through a magnifying glass. If you see parallel lines, it means that the stone was created by nature itself and grew without human intervention. But the crafts can have spirals or twisted veils.
Sapphire is incredibly beautiful, especially if it is natural. And how to distinguish the original from a fake? It is very difficult. You can evaluate the hardness. Scratches on this mineral should not remain. When immersed in water, it will sink, as quite heavy.
In addition, the original may have intricate inclusions of irregular shapes. Still, fakes may have the same properties, so it’s best to seek help from an experienced jeweler.
Pearls are also one of the most beloved stones of all women, so it is fake very often and quite skillfully. But how not to let yourself be deceived?
- Try to scratch the bead. If you see a clear scratch or especially a peeling paint, then before you is exactly a fake. If the pearl is real, then the scratch will also remain. But swipe your finger over the surface, and it miraculously disappears.
- You can try a stone for a tooth. If the pearls are real, then it will creak a little, due to the fact that it consists of the smallest scales of nacre.
- If you put the bead in your mouth, you can taste the taste of sea sand.
How to determine if topaz is real in front of you?
- If the stone is in the ring, then actively rub it with a woolen cloth. Place pieces of paper napkin on the table. Bring them to the product. If the stone is natural, it will attract particles.
- Feel the mineral. It is cool, and also very smooth, one might say slippery.
- Natural topaz can not be perfect clean, it can be detected blotches.
Although such a stone is not considered very expensive, it is still very popular. And to determine its authenticity in the following ways:
- Try to set fire to amber. If it is natural, you will smell the resin, but not meltable plastic. If the mineral is immature, then a dark spot will appear on its surface. If the stone is pressed, it can become sticky.
- Rub the mineral with wool. He must be electrified.
- In saline solution, amber will not sink. To check this, dissolve 10 teaspoons of salt in a glass of water and immerse the mineral in the composition. If he will float on the surface, then, most likely, is natural.
A natural pomegranate cannot be too large, it does not exceed the grain size of the pomegranate fruit of the same name.
This mineral has magnetic activity. And to identify it, use a cork, a scale and a magnet. Put a cork on the bowl, then a grenade. Bring a magnet to the stone. If the arrow of the scales begins to oscillate, then the mineral is real.
This alexandrite has pleochroism, that is, it can change its color under different lighting conditions. A fake will have one permanent shade.
True turquoise may have bumps, blotches and pores. But there can be no bubbles in it.
If you look at a real aquamarine in the light, you can find blotches resembling white chrysanthemums. In addition, this mineral can change color if viewed from different angles.
Precious Stones - Selection Instructions
Of course, buying jewelry in eminent workshops, I want to believe in their authenticity. However, a small check never hurts. So, of course, the surest way to check whether real gems adorn the jewelry you have bought will be a request for help from professionals. A gemoloic examination will detect a fake, even if it is perfectly disguised.
On the other hand, expertise - an expensive procedure, which takes time and money. Is there any alternative? Is it possible to conduct a similar examination at home? Of course! To do this, you first need to familiarize yourself with the features that certain gems have. This knowledge will help you to avoid buying jewelry with fake jewelry. When buying jewelry, carefully look at the structure of stones, their color, shape.
Jewelry with emeralds.
Choosing jewelry with emeralds, first of all, it is necessary to pay attention to the state of the surface of the stone. Emeralds have a unique structure in which a specific pattern is viewed — growth lines that are noticeable under a magnifying glass. Very often in natural emeralds there are defects and cracks. Keep in mind that the helical or tubular inclusions in the structure of the stone, most likely, indicate its synthetic origin. When choosing emeralds, it is important to touch them - like most natural gems, they give off coolness.
The peculiarity of emeralds isthat they can be confused not only with their own doubles, but also with other precious stones, such as beryl, peridot, tourmaline. That is why, in order to get a 100% accurate conclusion regarding the authenticity of emerald, you need to contact a specialist.
Jewelry with rubies.
If you saw a scarlet stone at a low price, do not flatter yourself. There is very little chance that you have a real ruby. The second aspect of choice is size. In nature, rubies usually grow to small sizes, large specimens are much less common and cost accordingly. Like all other real gems, the ruby is not perfect. Do not put a cross on the stone, inside which defects are seen, on the contrary - blotches and microcracks indicate naturalness. Inside the rubies there can also be small bubbles, the color of which fully corresponds to the color of the stone.
Among the main characteristics of ruby are the following:
- high strength - scratching a ruby stone with a lower hardness, you can get noticeable signs of damage,
- on the one hand, the color of a true ruby appears deep red, and on the other, gently pink,
- under ultraviolet lighting fake gems get an orange tint,
- putting a ruby in a glass pot, you can see bright red radiation.
Jewelry with sapphires.
According to statistics, most often forged sapphires. That is why, buying jewelry with sapphire, you must be especially careful. This sapphire is transparent. It has a bright and rich blue color. Like any other natural stone, sapphire has small defects and cracks on its surface. To check whether the gem is real in front of you, you can use another stone on its surface. There is not a scratch on the original stone. Sapphires - very cold stones, according to this characteristic they can also be distinguished from fakes.
Keep in mind that even if you choose jewelry with natural sapphire, but there are too many cracks in it, the stone will soon lose its luster. Moreover, under the influence of high temperatures, it can even crumble.
How to check the gems for strength.
Other often forged stones: topaz, amber, amethyst, pearls. In all cases, a fake is very easy to determine.
- Topaz can not be perfectly clean.
- Amber is checked by a piece of wool fabric - after contact with it, the stone is electrified and attracts dust particles.
- Fake pearls are usually hidden at a very affordable price. In addition, the gem can be tried on the tooth - a real stone should creak slightly.
- In any natural amethyst there must be internal defects and blotches.
Information policy helps determine the true gem.
Buyers of Western countries most often have no problems buying jewelry in jewelry stores. It is unlikely that they have a question - how to check whether the stone is real? The fact is that a rather strict information policy has been adopted there. Thus, in Europe and the United States, professional associations of jewelery associations are developed, which “set the tone” in the sale of products made of precious metals and stones. There is an international association. CIBJO - The Confederation of Jewelery, Silverware, Diamonds and Pearls, which classifies stones and defines many rules. For example, codes of ethical business for jewelers.
Jewelry associations of different countries, as a rule, oblige sellers to inform buyers of all the information about the stone necessary for an objective assessment of its value. Information includes both information on the origin of the stone (natural or synthetic), and on the impact on the stone, which improved the appearance and properties (enrichment of the stone).
How does a natural buyer distinguish natural stones from a Russian buyer?
Unfortunately, there are no such clear rules in Russia yet, and state supervision is present only for stones and metals included in the list of precious ones on the basis of the Law on Precious Stones and Metals. Vendors are not required to provide additional information about the stone beyond the requirements of the law (quite a few). And in response to a request to determine whether a real stone is available, sellers most often answer “of course”, without going into details. Therefore, customers can only count on the honesty of specific sellers and hope that the seller has the necessary knowledge. After all, not all representatives of jewelry networks are interested in such issues themselves.
Therefore, unfortunately, our advice is as follows. The buyer should be aware that in our time, the absolute majority of jewelry stones, even if they are of natural origin (which is rare now), most often undergo temperature and other processing (stone refining) to correct color, conceal cracks, and other improvements in appearance . In addition, under the guise of "natural turquoise" and the like often sell imitations of natural stones - for example, doublets or triplets (glued layers of natural and artificial materials). Therefore, if you come across a jewelery with a rather rare stone (the same noble opal, or natural turquoise) of excellent quality at quite a reasonable price, this is, unfortunately, a reason to be wary and ask questions.
Ways to check diamonds for authenticity
One of the easiest ways to ensure that you are the owner of real diamonds will be to apply for an assessment of the stone to professionals in jewelry. However, if there is no such possibility, since the services of jewelers in conducting precious stones valuation cost a lot of money, you can try to do it yourself. You will come to the aid of the following tips, how to distinguish a diamond at home from fakes:
- Настоящий алмаз никогда не будет ограненный в серебро или другой недорогой металл. Such an expensive stone in the manufacture of jewelry is combined with the same expensive precious metals - mainly gold and platinum.
- The perfectly smooth and even surface of the diamond without any defects is a sure sign that there is not a precious stone in front of you, known for its brilliance and shine, but a fake.
- Real diamonds should not shine through. If you managed to read through a line of stone from a newspaper or magazine, in front of you is a fake.
- Faceted diamonds always sparkle and play with light. Against their background, other stones look pale and dull, despite the high-quality cut. The diamond is endowed with a high degree of refraction, so it should sparkle strongly in the light. With the brilliance and modulations of diamond, no other stone can be confused.
- Diamonds never sweat. Having chosen this method of self-checking of diamonds for authenticity, it is enough to wipe the stone with a dry flannel cloth and breathe on it for a few seconds. Evaporation is immediately formed on the surface of any counterfeit, the diamond will remain dry and shiny.
- Genuine diamonds are not visible in water due to their transparency. By dropping a stone or jewelry with it in a container with water, you can check which stone you own - a real jewel or a fake.
- You can use another way to distinguish a real diamond from a fake. The essence of it comes down to exposure to ultraviolet diamond. Under the ultraviolet rays, this gem always glows with blue light. Mossanite will glow in other shades.
- Diamonds are very long heated by the heat of the human body. If you do not know how to determine the authenticity of a diamond at home, to make sure that you are not fake, just hold it in your palm and hold it for a while. Before the stone heats up, the cold from the diamond will be felt in the hand for a long time.
- It is known that diamonds are not scratched, so you can rub its surface with emery paper. If there is no trace on the stone, it means that it is really real.
How to determine the real diamond or fake?
A more reliable way to determine the authenticity of a diamond is to use an electronic tester, which allows you to distinguish a diamond from fakes, with the exception of moissanite, a high-quality simulator of a diamond. However, another method will help with this: the stone must be dipped into a liquid having a specific weight below 3.17 - the specific weight of moissanite. During such a test, the diamond will sink to the bottom, while moissanite will float to the surface of the water.
Most often under the guise of diamonds issue moissanite. In this case, it would be useful to know another option, how to determine whether the diamond is real, and not a high-tech diamond simulator. To do this, you need to hold it under fire: a real diamond will not suffer, but the moissanite will become green, from which it will be impossible to get rid of. This method of determining the authenticity of the gemstone is suitable for those people who are not afraid to part with the jewelry, even if it is a fake.
Color or fancy diamonds are especially valued, since they have a high aesthetic appeal and are rarely mined - no more than a few dozen stones a year. On this basis, they are more expensive than other types of diamonds, therefore, they are more fake than colorless stones.
Differences diamond from rock crystal
The popularity of rock crystal in jewelry is due to the fact that this stone is very similar to a diamond. Differences between diamond and rock crystal are still there.
To make sure that it is diamond that is in front of you, and not rock crystal, you can do the following: sprinkle a few drops of water on the stone, take a needle and poke it into the drops. If the water did not spread over the surface of the stone, but retained its shape, it means that you were not deceived.
Rhinestone allows jewelers to use different types of cut, with the result that the stone acquires a dazzling brilliance. This property of crystal is used to imitate diamonds.
There is another distinctive feature of jewelry with these different stones. It is known that extremely expensive metal is used as a frame for real diamond stones, mainly gold and platinum. Rhinestone more often recovers in silver, sometimes in gold.
How to distinguish a real diamond from a fake glass: the definition of authenticity
Experts in the world of jewelry reveal several secrets of how to distinguish a diamond from glass, and not give away a large sum of money for a cheap fake.
To make it easier to determine the authenticity of a diamond, it is better to purchase a magnifying glass that is sold in any jewelry store. The fact is that diamond is a mineral of natural origin, therefore it cannot be perfect. Inside the stone, you can see various inclusions, which will never be in a fake in the form of glass or other artificial material. True, artificial diamonds can also look perfect, so you should not rely on this single criterion of diamond authenticity.
In this case, you should use additional methods to distinguish a real diamond from a fake, namely, from glass. If you pay attention to the edges of the stone, then the diamond will be sharp, the fake - rounded. Pay attention to how the stone is fixed: if unreliable, it means that it is not real.
And finally - bring the stone under the sun's rays. The way diamonds shimmer and play with light is a unique process. At first, a gray-white radiance appears inside the stone, and rainbow rays form outside, which are reflected on other surfaces. Many people mistakenly believe that diamonds shine with all the colors of the rainbow, in fact it is not, a gray-white glow appears inside the stone, and if it is multi-colored, it is most likely an artificial diamond or its fake. Crystal will never sparkle like a diamond, despite the use of modern technology in its faceting.
To distinguish a diamond from glass, you can use the following method, which uses a newspaper or magazine. Take a stone and place it on top of the printed text, if letters are viewed through it, it means you have purchased a cheap fake, and not an expensive diamond. This method of determining the authenticity of diamonds is possible only if they are perfectly cut.
Simple ways to distinguish a real diamond from a fake
Have you become a happy owner of a precious jewel inlaid with real diamonds, but you doubt the authenticity of the stones? You can verify their authenticity using the following affordable and simple ways to identify a diamond at home and distinguish it from a fake:
- Take the sandpaper and lightly scrape the stone. If it remains unscathed, without scratches and roughness, there is no doubt about the authenticity of the diamond.
- Breathe on the stone for a few seconds: a real diamond will never sweat, because it has a high conductivity of heat. Other stones, issued under the guise of diamonds, necessarily sweat.
- If you have substandard emerald and sapphire at home, you can try to verify the authenticity of the diamond with their help. Take two stones - emerald or sapphire and a diamond, and scratch a diamond with them. The fact is that these minerals are hard enough rocks, and only genuine diamond can damage them.
- This diamond will not suffer under the action of hydrochloric acid, this chemical substance does not affect the appearance and properties of the precious stone. A fake or artificial stone will lose its attractive appearance, as a result, they will no longer imitate a diamond. On a fake hydrochloric acid will leave white marks.
- Zirconium can be used as a fake when creating precious jewelry with diamond patterns. You can distinguish these two stones by using a diamond pencil. With the sharp end of such a tool they press on the surface of the stone, if there are scratches left, it means that you have zirconium in front of you. Strong pressure on the stone is not worth it, because even a real diamond can be damaged in this way.
How to distinguish diamonds from cubic zirconia?
Fake diamonds existed back in the 1920s. At that time, spinel forms such as corundolite and radiotene were used as fakes. Soon, such minerals as titanium, strontium, sapphire, rutile and some others added to the list. It is these minerals that led the fake diamond market.
In recent years, a new group of imitator diamonds, differing in higher quality, has appeared, so it is much more difficult to distinguish them from genuine diamonds. The most common imitator is zirconia, or cubic zirconia, with which diamond can easily be confused.
It was discovered in 1976 and since then it ranks second after moissanite in the list of fake diamonds. Fianits in the jewelry market are sold in different colors and brightness. Colorless cubic zirconias are the most expensive because they are the hardest to produce, and they are more like diamonds.
The relative density coefficient of a diamond is lower than that of cubic zirconia, this feature can be used in the process of checking a diamond for authenticity through the use of a special device resembling a pen of a pen. Checking the diamond for authenticity is carried out under the influence of ultraviolet radiation, in which the fake stone becomes green-yellow.
However, many are interested in how to recognize a real diamond without such a special device. Experts in the field of jewelry give a few tips on how to verify the authenticity of a diamond at home, to distinguish them from fakes:
- The most important difference between these two stones is their hardness. A diamond mined in nature will always be harder than cubic zirconia. To distinguish these two minerals, you can hold them on the glass: the diamond will leave behind a noticeable mark. Based on this particular gemstone, you should know that only the same mineral can damage a diamond.
- The use of fat of plant or animal origin will also help to verify the authenticity or fake gemstone. In the process of examination, you can use vegetable oil or melted fat. They need to moisten the brush and apply a few drops of the product on the surface of the stone. The oil on the surface of the cubic zirconia will break up into many small droplets, on the diamond it will remain as it was.
How to identify a real diamond at home?
Many believe that there are no such minerals on earth that can sparkle brighter than diamonds. In fact, such a diamond simulator exists; it is a mineral called “moissanite”. Experts in the world of jewelry offer several options for how to identify a real diamond at home and distinguish it from moissanite.
Moissanite is brighter than a real diamond, so a diamond is more difficult to distinguish from it than from a cubic zirconia. Chemically, this mineral is known as silicon carbide or carborundum. The natural properties of moissanite allow it to be issued as a diamond, even without much effort by jewelers, as well as the use of the latest technologies and modern equipment.
Natural diamonds have a rough surface and black inclusion, which is not observed in artificial stones.
How to determine the authenticity of a diamond in a ring or other jewelry
You do not know how to distinguish a diamond in a ring when buying a piece of jewelry? Pay attention to whether the stone is glued to the rim. The fact is that when working with diamonds almost no glue is used. In this way, rhinestone is often attached to jewelry. There is another affordable way to identify a diamond in a ring: take a piece of jewelry in your hand, bring it closer to your face and take a close look at the depth of the stone. In real diamonds, the glow will go deep inside, the bottom in such a stone will be impossible to see.
There is another proven way to identify a diamond in a piece of jewelry when it is necessary to distinguish it from cubic zirconia. To do this, take the decoration in your hand and look through it to the light. A cut diamond due to its optical properties, which are achieved after its cut, does not transmit light, all that can be seen by looking at it is a bright luminous point. Phianth, on the contrary, has high throughput.
How and where to check the authenticity of a diamond in a ring?
X-ray is another method to check the authenticity of a diamond in a ring or other jewelry. Diamonds are characterized by a “radiolucent” molecular structure. This means that genuine diamonds will never appear on the X-ray. Glass, cubic zirconia, and rhinestone have easily expressed "radiopaque" properties, so they become visible in X-rays.
To inspect the diamonds with the help of X-rays, it is necessary to transfer the jewelry to a special laboratory for authenticating gems. The laboratory is not the only place where you can verify the authenticity of a diamond, such services can also be provided by some jewelry stores where qualified jewelers and experts work.
In laboratory conditions, the following methods and tools can be used to determine the authenticity of a diamond:
Weighing on carat scales. One of the ways to determine the authenticity of a real diamond is to weigh it: the size of the stone must be consistent with the weight in grams or carats. Experts note that cubic zircons and zircons are 55% heavier than diamonds, so it will be easy to see a fake with the help of scales.
Quartz lamp. Ultraviolet rays illuminate natural diamonds in blue, yellow, pink or lilac. If the stone glows bright white, it indicates a fake.
Ways of how to determine the authenticity of a diamond in a ring allow those who want to acquire a precious piece of jewelery to avoid deception by unscrupulous sellers.
How to distinguish an artificial diamond in the ring from the natural (with photo)
In the process of making precious jewelry, both real diamonds and these stones of artificial origin are used. At the same time, artificial stones are sold at the price of diamonds of natural origin.
Having a jewel with a jewel, many girls and women are looking for ways to identify a real diamond. The following tests and experiments can be carried out at home to confirm the authenticity or fake of a diamond:
- This diamond has the property to behave in a certain way in a greasy environment. To determine the authenticity of the gemstone, lightly smear it with vegetable oil and apply it to a flat glass surface. A real diamond will stick to the glass.
- When choosing jewelry you should not be tempted to buy it at a better price. It should be understood that diamonds are the most expensive gems, so they can not stand cheap.
- A real diamond should be inserted into the “open back” jewel, so that the gem can easily be viewed from behind. At the same time, the back surface should not have a smooth mirror coating.
- Genuine diamonds have a rough surface and black inclusions, which is not observed in stones created in artificial conditions.
- Another way to distinguish an artificial diamond from a natural one is to use a magnet. Sometimes jewelers use a magnet to determine the authenticity of diamonds. The fact is that it attracts 90% of artificially grown stones.
- Using a magnifying glass is a good option to distinguish an artificial diamond from a genuine gemstone. Magnifier All irregularities, small cracks, foreign inclusions, air bubbles and other defects are inherent only to stones of natural origin. Many of them can be seen only during the inspection under a magnifying glass.
In jewelry stores, diamonds can also be replaced with fakes in the form of stones such as zircon, white topaz, synthetic rutile, white sapphire, and yttrium-aluminum garnet. diamond from a fake or doubt their effectiveness and reliability, when buying a product, check all the certificates and certificates attached to it. High-quality diamonds are always GIA and AGS certificates, which are their current passport.
Ways to distinguish a real diamond are shown in these photos:
How to distinguish a black diamond from other stones?
Ювелирные украшения с черными бриллиантами всегда ценились выше бесцветных драгоценных камней. Такие минералы считаются достаточно редкими и дорогими, поэтому часто вместо них продают подделки. Под видом черного бриллианта может продаваться сапфир, муассанит, шпинель.
Как отличить черный бриллиант от других камней? Для этого понадобится лупа 20-кратного увеличения. Тот, кто исследует камень, берет его в руку и всматривается в структуру под увеличительным стеклом. If instead of an expensive black diamond was used cubic zirconia, ghosting of faces will be seen, which is completely unusual for diamonds.
How to determine the cost of a diamond: the main criteria
Price is one of the important criteria for determining the authenticity of a stone. However, you should know that even ordinary glass, issued as a precious stone, can have a high cost.
How to determine the cost of a diamond, and on the basis of what basic criteria the price of these natural expensive stones is formed? The cost of diamonds is determined based on criteria such as their color, purity, carats and the type of cut.
The final price is determined by the certification of the gemstone, which is issued at the GIA (Gemological Institute of America), EGL (European Gemological Laboratory), IGI (International Gemological Institute). Similar centers exist in Russia.
All available methods for how to identify a diamond at home are in the video below. They will help to independently assess the diamond and establish its authenticity. However, for more accurate and reliable results, nevertheless, should conduct a laboratory study.
Preface. Stone price
A natural stone with a cut or ground cannot cost 10 kopecks, simply because its processing is more expensive, so if you want to buy a cheap one, you will get a fake a priori.
Immediately, I note that such natural stones like turquoise or malachite are not just not cheap, but rather expensive, because they are almost not left in nature. They learned to imitate turquoise in the Middle Ages, so there is no cheap turquoise, everything that is sold in non-jewelry stores and pieces of 1 cm is fake. The same applies to cheap amber, now they have learned to make bubbles in fake amber from plastic and to immure insects in it.
And now, simple ways to distinguish a natural stone from a fake by ear, by weight, heat. For a sample, take a guaranteed natural stone, for example, a small pebble from the road, with it you can compare the quality of the stone you want to buy.
Natural stone nail
All minerals are distinguished by their hardness, I will not touch the 1st grade gems with high hardness, but I will tell you a little about some popular inexpensive and not very expensive stones.
Garnet, tourmaline and quartz (aventurine, agate, rhinestone, amethyst, citrine, cat's eye, falcon eye, tiger eye) have a hardness of 7 and scratch glass.
Opal, rutile and feldspars (moonstone, adular, sunstone, etc.) have a hardness of 6, scratch the glass, but they can be scratched with a file.
Hematite, lapis lazuli, apatite has a hardness of 5, they no longer scratch the glass, on the contrary, with an effort they can be scratched with a glass or a knife.
Fluorite has a hardness of 4, scratching it with glass and a knife is easy.
Calcite (Iceland spar, satin spar, onyx marble, marble, etc.) have a hardness of 3, as well as silver, gold is a bit harder.
Gypsum has a hardness of 2 and can be scratched with a fingernail. Gypsum is associated with fractures, but this mineral forms very beautiful crystals and arrays, it is used for jewelry and handicrafts, treating from above with durable varnish. Thus, the wonderful selenite with silky tints may very well pass off as a more expensive and solid lunar or sun stone.
True, you should also be able to scratch, considering the crystal structure of the stone, so it is better to ask the seller to demonstrate the hardness of the selected stone, normal sellers always have special pencils or testers for this.
Advanced methods for distinguishing a stone from a fake are described in the article Diagnostics of Gems, and I described one of the examples of diagnosis using the luminescence property in the article Authenticating Gems. UV test
PS I would be grateful to those who will share their experience in testing or in other ways to distinguish a stone from a fake